The 2014 US Pokémon National Championships are right around the corner, taking place in Indianapolis, IN from July 4th–6th. Even if you're not able to make it to the big event, the good news is you'll still be able to keep up with the action, as both Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) and Pokémon Video Game matches will be streamed live on Twitch.tv/Pokemon that Saturday and Sunday.
Here's the streaming schedule for the US Pokémon National Championships on Twitch.tv/Pokemon:
- Saturday, July 5th — 12:00pm–5:00pm EDT: Pokémon Video Game Swiss Rounds
- Saturday, July 5th — 5:00pm–9:00pm EDT: Pokémon TCG Swiss Rounds
- Sunday, July 6th — 9:00am–2:00pm EDT: Pokémon TCG Top Cut and Finals
- Sunday, July 6th — 2:00pm–5:00pm EDT: Pokémon Video Game Top Cut and Finals
That's great news to hear, as these events are typically a lot of fun and also feature some of the fiercest competition out there, so even if you're unable to attend the event, you'll still be able to see some of the best players in North America — and, for that matter, the world — battle it out live on stream.
If you are able to make it to the Indianapolis, IN area during that time, you'll need to meet some requirements in order to enter either tournament:
- You need to have a Nintendo 3DS (or 2DS or 3DS XL) as well as either Pokémon X or Pokémon Y in order to participate in the Pokémon Video Game National Championships. There is no entry fee or minimum Play! Point requirement to enter. Additionally, entry is open to anyone, including people whose residence is outside of the United States.
- To enter the Pokémon Trading Card Game National Championships, Junior and Senior Division players must have earned at least 5 Play! Points. Only the first 270 Junior and 324 Senior Division players are guaranteed entry.
- Masters Division players looking to enter the Pokémon Trading Card Game National Championships must have earned at least 10 Play! Points instead and must also pay a $30 entry fee, although every Master Division player that enters will receive 7 booster packs of XY–Flashfire ($28 value).
- All TCG entrants must be residents of the United States in order to enter.
- All Video Game and TCG entrants will receive a Pokémon National Championships T-Shirt on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Pre-registration is available on the official website at http://2014.registration.pokemon.com. You will also be able to register on-site on Thursday, July 3rd, though pre-registering is strongly encouraged.
As the Trading Card Game and Video Game tournaments take place at the same time, you cannot play in both. However, anyone at the event — spectators included — will be able to receive a special event Pokémon, World Champion Arash Omatti's Shiny Mamoswine, via Mystery Gift. This Mamoswine was used by the 2013 Pokémon Video Game World Champion from Italy, Arash Omatti, and it comes holding a Choice Scarf and knowing the moves Icicle Spear, Earthquake, Icicle Crash, and Rock Slide. Its ability is Thick Fat and it has an Adamant nature. And, of course, it's Shiny!
Over 500 players have collectively earned more than $300,000 worth of travel awards and travel stipends to help fund their trips to Indianapolis, IN, thanks to their performance in city, state, and regional tournaments, and even more prizes will be given away at the US National Championships, including travel awards to the 2014 Pokémon World Championships in Washington, DC from August 16th–17th.