UPDATE: This post is solely an April Fools Day joke and is not in fact serious. It was intentionally written to be comical and not to mislead or confuse.
Taking a cue from the underwhelming performance of Pokémon X and Y, it has been revealed this morning that Pokémon is to release two fresh and exciting Pokémon games this year — Pokémon Black 3 and Pokémon White 3!
That's right, while technically sequels of sequels, Pokémon Black 3 and White 3 are said to be truer to the original two games than the first batch of sequels, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.
First and foremost, Black 3 and White 3 are for the Nintendo DS as opposed to the newer Nintendo 3DS, making it more accessible to a wider audience of people. Part of the rationale behind that decision is that the Nintendo 3DS is "already capable of playing Nintendo DS games." This also ensures they remain compatible with Black, White, Black 2, and White 2, and cross-compatibility with Poké Transfer is all but certain to allow one-way transfers to Pokémon X & Y.
A lot of specifics about Black 3 and White 3 are still unknown, but here's what we do know about the games:
- They are set 3 years after the events in Black and White, or 1 year after the events in Black 2 and White 2.
- The main protagonist is the same protagonist from the original Black and White.
- There are substantially more Reshiram in Black 3 and Zekrom in White 3 available while playing the game. It is implied there are three Reshiram and Zekrom to catch per game, but it has also been implied that several Trainers may possess either Reshiram or Zekrom in their party.
- All of the Gym Leaders are the same as in Black and White instead of the replacements introduced in Black 2 and White 2, although their teams are said to possess at least one Reshiram or Zekrom each (depending on the version).
- Team Plasma makes a return, as does Ghetsis, N, and even Colress, although rather than dressing up as knights or pirates as they did in previous games, they dress up as wizards and all wear fake long wizard beards.
- For the first time ever, Reshiram and Zekrom are able to be fused together using the DNA Splicers to create Gray Reshiram or Gray Zekrom, depending on which Pokémon the DNA Splicers are used on first.
- Additionally, you may use the DNA Splicers on two Reshiram to fuse them into Black Reshiram or use them on two Zekrom to fuse them into White Zekrom.
- Mega Evolution was apparently viewed as "too radical" of a concept and will not be featured or even acknowledged in Black 3 and White 3.
- New forms for Stunfisk and Garbodor will be included in the games. No reason has been given as to why, although it is confirmed these are not Mega Evolutions.
- The Champion is supposedly N and he has a team consisting of three Reshiram and three Zekrom.
- Black 3 and White 3 include a powerful anti-cheating mechanism — with the full removal of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection features in May, cheating no longer has any purpose, as you cannot trade or battle with other players unless you are in close proximity to them, in which case prominent warnings are displayed on-screen to ensure both players understand the risks of interaction with other players.
It's certainly exciting to see Pokémon finally realize that naming Pokémon games after letters and putting games on expensive hardware is not the right direction. While Pokémon may have upset hardcore Pokémon fans in a similar manner when Black 2 and White 2 were announced, it appears they have learned from their mistakes and are releasing a Pokémon game that players truly want — a game with at least three times as much Reshiram and Zekrom!
Both games will be released worldwide on September 31st, 2014. It was briefly said that each purchase will also include a demo of Pokémon Ruby 2 and Pokémon Sapphire 2, although this statement was quickly dropped, only fueling the flames of those still hoping for even a Ruby and Sapphire remake, yet alone a sequel.
What do you think about these games? Don't they sound exciting? Which version will you be getting? Let the world know in the comments!