Guides on both EVs and IVs (yeah, in one topic)

There's no real guides for EVing you can turn to anymore. I only know of two, but one isn't very accessible and the other was never really finished. So, I'm going to make one that most people here can turn to.

EVs, and why they aren't as difficult as they seem.

Now, EVs aren't that complicated. However, that doesn't mean that you can just use the cookie cutter 252/252/4 spreads or the Smogon standard and expect them to always work. (Note: That's not to say the Smogon standard or a 252/252/4 spread is never good, but they aren't always the best spread for a given pokemon, so bare with me.)

That being said, here are two types of EV spreads that are absolute garbage: 252/128/128 (or similar spreads) and some EV spread that looks like you put time into it but actually does nothing (something like 120/32/40/68/248). You may be thinking now, "But my random spread let my Jirachi survive a MixApe Flamethrower, so it must be good!". The thing is though, you probably could have done that with a much more efficient EV spread that also would have allowed your Jirachi to do othr things as well.

That's exactly what you should do with EVs, be specific and efficient with them so that you can maximize the potential of your pokemon and your team. When you do that, you will have a higher chance to win, and as a result, win more.

Now here's a funny little trick that some people don't know about EVs. Smogon calls them "magic numbers", so you can call them that if you want. I'll take Heatran as an example here:

If a Modest Heatran has perfect IVs, then with 212 SpAtk EVs it would have 383 SpAtk. However, if I gave that Heatran 216 SpAtk EVs, it would have 385 SpAtk.

"What? But 4 EVs only give 1 stat point. How did that give Heatran 2 SpAtk?!"

There are certain numbers when EVing a stat with a positive nature that skip a point. More often than not, they are 16/56/96/136/176/216 EVs (all of those numbers give an extra stat point). They aren't always that number though (It's a bit complaicated to explain, but where the jump points are is dependent on base stat and the IV of that stat. If your IV is one point lower, the jump point would shift to like 220, not 216), so make sure to check around when EVing, because that extra point in EVing is usually where people choose to stop investing in a stat. That's because that's the most beneficial spot and it's a precise place to stop.

So on a defensive pokemon (I'll use Miltank), my EV spread would be something like: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 Def Impish. That 40 Atk won't make too much of a difference, but it might allow me to 2 or 3HKO some pokemon instead of 3 or 4HKO (respectively) and win me the match when someone else would have lost. Yes it's an arbitrary place to cut off, but in some ways it's beneficial. Jump points are kind of the mark that say, "OK this is enough investing in that stat, now invest in another".

EVing HP

252 in HP is never bad for defensive pokemon unless they already have a ton of it to begin with like Wobbuffet or Blissey. In that case, invest more of your HP in Def or SpDef. As a general rule of thumb, you want your HP and Def to be as close as possible. That's the best ratio for taking damage, meaning you take the least amount of damage. So max the HP of your Shuckle, but consider investing more in your defenses for Hariyama.

Another reason 252 HP isn't the most efficient way to EV is when you are holding the item Leftovers. And chances are if you're investing that high in HP you are indeed holding it. When you're holding Leftovers you can get more precise with EVing HP. You can do that by making your HP one above a number divisible by 16. The meaning behind this is fairly complex, so allow me to explain:

Say I have a my Miltank from before. I had 252 HP on it, but that doesn't give me an HP divisible by 16, nor one number above that. Using 212 HP EVs give me an HP of 384. That number is divisible by 16, an thus I get 24 HP back each turn from Leftovers. If I had 208 EVs, I'd only get back 23 HP each turn. 1 HP a turn might not make a difference, but it may someday, and it's being efficient, so it's beneficial to do it and there's no reason not to on Miltank. I did say to go one point above that though. That's because Leftovers is not the only thing that works in divisibles of 16. Sandstorm, Hail, Spikes, Poison, Burn, and Stealth Rock also work in divisibles of 16 as well. And since some of them inflict damage before Leftovers, it's wiser to go one point above an HP that's divisible by 16 since it allows you to survive one more turn of Poison or switch into Stealth Rock one more time.

That means my new Miltank spread would be something like 216 HP/76 Atk/216 Def Impish.

Keep in mind that this is only for pokemon holding Leftovers. So you shouldn't do it on your LOGyarados. And it's usually not worth doing on pokemon with low HP. I usually don't do it on any pokemon that has less than 70 Base HP (it's a rather arbitrary cutoff point, but whatever), as they need all the HP they can get.

You can also throw in Speed on non-walls if you don't need the extra EVs in another stat. It's usually a better choice than putting them in one of your defenses. The one type of pokemon that it isn't wise to do this to is a fast but frail sweeper like Weavile. Yeah 40 HP EVs allows it to survive a (non Life Orb) Azelf Flamethrower, but is that really worth 10 Speed Points? I'd rather outspeed randomly Scarfed pokemon that fall in that range and beat other Weavile that don't run Max Speed (or at least have the hope of speed tying them, something you wouldn't even have a chance of doing with the HP EVs).

When EVing pokemon with Life Orb, most people tell you to have an HP stat ending in 9 (some people also prefer a stat ending in 1). Really, it doesn't matter as long as your HP isn't divisible by 10. If it's not divisible by 10, you get an extra attack with Life Orb.

The last thing to keep in mind is EVing with Substitute. If you have a pokemon with a pinch berry (like Petaya or Salac Berry) and Substitute, normally you'd want your HP divisible by 4. This allows you to sub down 3 times, and then have the pinch berry without having to use a fourth Substitute. This means you won't die right away from Sandstorm or Hail damage, hopefully extending your sweep. However, if you have Reversal or Flail and Substitute, you want your HP one above a number divisible by 4. That way you make sure Reversal/Flail has maximum power. Note this takes priority over holding a pinch berry, so if you have Reversal/Flail, Substitute, and say, Salac Berry, you'd want your HP to be a number like 285, not 284.

EVing Speed

Ahh... Speed. The most precise stat in the game. And as such, it should be EVd in the most precise way.

There are two ways to EV Speed. The first way is to pick a certain pokemon or variant of a pokemon that you need to outspeed, and invest to just outspeed them. A great example of this is something like Gliscor. If it chooses to run 58 Spd EVs, it can outspeed Adamant Breloom. However if you want to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar, you can run 72 Spd EVs. This way it becomes a much more efficient counter to them, as instead of taking two hits from Breloom, it only has to take one before it can OHKO with Aerial Ace.

The second is to be as efficient as possible in not run max speed if you can't beat the majority of your Speed group one-on-one. This is used more by faster sweepers as less pokemon share the same speed groups as them. For example, Swellow has Base 125 Speed. This is only shared in OU by Weavile. Swellow can't really beat Weavile as it has the chance of running Ice Shard, and it isn't common enough to run into itself in the same battle, so there's no need to max your speed. Instead, we can look to outspeed the Base 120s (Dugtrio, Sceptile, and Alakazam) who hit 372 Speed. Swellow only needs 216 Speed EVs to hit above that.

Now you think to yourself, "Is there anything in between 383 and 372 that is common enough to warrant outspeeding?". There is, and it happens to be Modest Scarf Heatran, which hits 379 Speed, meaning you need 240 Spd EVs to outspeed it. Swellow can't really beat it one-on-one, but getting in a Facade to dent it is always nice, and it may save you in a battle one day.

However, we also need to keep in mind Swellow is a special case. If we were doing this to, say, Alakazam, who is mildly common, I would choose to max speed for several reasons. The first being it has a chance of beating things in its speed group, and going for the speed tie is better than guarenteeing you will lose. The second is that those 12 or so EVs you spare won't be helpful anywhere else (especially defensive stats because Alakazam is frail anyways), so you may as well just invest them in Speed, which has the most potential to be useful. If this was being done to Weavile I would definitely max speed, since it will likely run up against itself at one point, and running 252 Speed means you at least have a 50-50 chance of beating the opposing Weavile.

In our second method, we have to be careful about what we choose to do that with. If I chose, say, Roserade, and I wanted a decent EV spread, I would be tempted to run something along the lines of 40 HP/252 SpAtk/216 Spd Timid, which outspeeds the Base 85s. This looks nice on paper, but we have to keep something in mind:

When EVing pokemon to outspeed the Base 95s-80s, keep in mind there is almost nothing that resides in this area that is commonly seen in OU play.

Of course, there are pokemon with those Base Speeds. You just never see them in OU. They're either Scarfed like PorygonZ or Heracross or they don't even bother running max speed. But those are just the somewhat common pokemon. Most of the pokemon in this speed range you'll see once ever 50 battles, like Moltres or Houndoom. The exception to this rule is Lucario, who is common enough to warrant mention. He can run either Adamant/Modest or Jolly, depending on what set he's running.

Also keep in mind Speed boosting pokemon, like AgiliGross or Yanmega. In general, it's better to EV those pokemon for what they'll outspeed after a boost, but if there's something a few points away that you can outspeed before your boost, that's acceptable as well.

EVing Attack and Special Attack

Attack and Special Attack are the stats you can afford to take away from more often than not. The only exception to that is if you have specifically EVd a pokemon to OHKO or 2HKO an opposing pokemon that you are likely to face. On most sweepers however, they should be maxed out in their respective stat.

On bulky pokemon or walls, you should try not to go overboard on Atk/SpAtk EVs. Only invest as much (Sp)Atk as you need to beat an important enemy. Take Porygon2 as an example. I can EV it to take on LOGyarados by putting in just enough EVs to OHKO after LO recoil. An unSTABbed Thunderbolt needs to be off a Special Attack of 270 to kill Gyara after LO recoil. This is also a good number to hit because it also OHKOs non Yache Berry Garchomp (well, 269 does as well, but this is a better number to hit for Porygon2). So we can run a spread like this: 232 HP/176 Def/96 SpAtk/4 SpDef Bold. That's about as much Attack/Special Attack you should be investing in bulky pokemon. Anything more than that and you take away too much bulk for the extra (Sp)Atk to do any real good.

Keep in mind EVing to kill also applies on Mixed sweepers as well. If I wanted to run Mixed Metagross, I would EV it just enough to 2HKO Skarmory with HP [Fire]. This also allows me to beat Forretress, Tangrowth, Swampert, Hippowdon, and Donphan (the latter three with Grass Knot). That takes 70 SpAtk EVs with Life Orb. Then I can invest 252 EVs in Attack, since Meteor Mash and Earthquake will be the main sweeping moves anyways. That leaves me 186 EVs to put in Speed. Coincidentally, that allows me to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar, who will always get OHKOd By Meteor Mash. So my final spread is 252 Atk/70 SpAtk/186 Spd Naughty.

EVing Defense and Special Defense

Just as you EV (Sp)Atk to kill, you EV (Sp)Def to survive hits, which allows you to win one-on-one. Generally this only applies to bulky pokemon, as sweepers shouldn't be investing in their defenses more often than not. It's easiest to use a damage calculator to do this. Lilbelldra has a nice one here that I use for damage calcs and EVing. It also gives you the chance of OHKOs and 2HKOs in many conditions, which is helpful for defensive EVing. Try to make your pokemon survive even in the least favorable conditions if you can, it may save you in a battle.

Keep in mind that pokemon should use their higher defensive stat as a plus nature. For example, Smogon reccomends Claydol be Bold/Impish nature, but its SpDef is higher than its Def. Therefore, running a SpDef+ nature nets you a few more stat points overall. This doesn't apply to some pokemon like Blissey. Porygon2 can go either way, as well as Cresselia and usually Vaporeon. Usually you can just stop at a magic number (remember those?) and invest in your other defense or in your attack stat of choice. But on a pokemon like Milotic, Calm is the preferrable nature, as it's netting you more points overall.

Being efficient with your EVs

Pretend I have a Dragonite with 160 HP/252 Atk/96 Spd and a Jolly Nature. It ouspeeds Azelf and Starmie ( as well as Gengar) after a Dragon Dance, which leaves it in a nice spot to sweep. Looks good, right? Except I'm wasting a ton of EVs.

But... I'm using all 510 EVs, so I can't be wasting any, right?

Wrong. I can get the same exact stats with 160 HP/120 Atk/184 Spd. And that saves me an extra 44 EVs, which I can now throw in Attack. This is because Dragonite's Attack stat is higher than his Speed. When EVing, always use the nature on the highest stat. The only exception to this rule is if you need a stat higher than a neutral nature can get it. This happens frequently with speed. So in that case if I wanted a Dragonite with 260+ speed, I would go Jolly, even though my attack stat would still be higher.

Here is an incredibly helpful link that you can use to make sure that you haven't wasted any EVs.

Remember, by being efficient with your EVs, you maximize the potential of your team. So keep this in mind next time you're building a team, it may help you win a battle you would have otherwise lost. If you don't understand something in here or if I made an error (god forbid I make a typo or two >_>), please point it out either in this topic or via PM. Thanks.

EDIT- I would like to thank Danbaru's of Serebii. I read a guide similar in layout (and content ?_?) to this one which inspired me to make this. It also taught me a lot about EVs that was in this guide. Thank you Danbaru's!
    The IV part of the guide.

IVs/Hidden Power... what they do and how they work.

What do IVs do

If you're even reading this you should know what IVs do, but I feel the need to re-iterate this. IVs do two separate things:

The first thing they do is influence stats. At level 100, one IV in a stat is equivalent to one point in that respective stat. As you should know, that means the maximum a stat can vary from IVs alone is 31 points more than normal, while the minimum is none at all. Since IVs can be in all 6 stats, that means that IVs can count for 186 possible points in a pokemon. While on Shoddy this means nothing as you can just make all the boxes 31, this can matter a lot on WiFi if you don't use a cheating device like PokeSav.

The second thing IVs do is regulate the type and power of the move Hidden Power. Hidden Power can be any type (except Normal and ???), and it's power ranges from 30 to 70. 70 can be very effective if you are using it to hit pokemon like Gyarados or Heatran (in which a 4x effective base power 70 move will be more powerful than even a STAB regular super effective base power 90 move).

How IVs are determined

So how exactly are IVs determined? Quite simply. Every pokemon that is encountered has a secret hidden number (called a PID) from which a bunch of things like Nature and IVs are determined from. Even pokemon that are bred have these numbers until the IVs override what was already given. This becomes important when trying to get certain combinations of IVs and Natures.

Now, the PID is in binary form. If you want to know more about it, I suggest you read this, as X-Act can explain far better than I can.

How to calculate the type of Hidden Power

Ahhh, the eternal question(s): How do I get a 31 Spd IV for [insert Hidden Power type here]? Hidden Power type is actually easy once you get the hang of it.

Here is the 'formula' for calculating Hidden power type:

(IVHP + IVAtk + IVDef + IVSpd + IVSpAtk +IVSpDef) x15 /63 = Type.

Now, before you start putting in 31s and 30s and other numbers where the corresponding IVs are, here's what goes in each slot depending on the IV:

-HP should be 0 when even, but 1 when odd.
    -Atk should be 0 when even, but 2 when odd.
    -Def should be 0 when even, but 4 when odd.
    -Spd should be 0 when even, but 8 when odd.
    -SpAtk should be 0 when even, but 16 when odd.
    -SpDef should be 0 when even, but 32 when odd.

Make sense? Here's an example. If I had a Spd IV of 31 and an HP IV of 2, then I would put a 0 where the HP IV goes in the equation (because 2 is an even number) and an 8 where the Spd IV goes (because 31 is an odd number).

I would like to take the time to point out that this doesn't follow the ingame order of stats. So don't go HP-Spd, go HP-SpDef (ShoddyBattle and NetBattle do this order for you).

That's all good and dandy. But now what? As a result of the equation we have a number where "Type" should go. But types aren't numbers. So, we match them up with the following chart:

0 = Fighting
    1 = Flying
    2 = Poison
    3 = Ground
    4 = Rock
    5 = Bug
    6 = Ghost
    7 = Steel
    8 = Fire
    9 = Water
    10 = Grass
    11 = Electric
    12 = Psychic
    13 = Ice
    14 = Dragon
    15 = Dark

Easy enough. One thing to remember though is that these do not round at .5 (or 1/2). Instead, they go everything up to but not including the next number. So any number between 9 and 9.999999(infinitely repeating) would still be considered Water, but as soon as it reaches 10 it would be Grass.

So what does this have to do with what can be used with a Spd IV of 31 and what can't? Since when Spd is 31 it is odd (duh), that means it will always be given as an 8 in the equation. Certain results cannot be obtained with that 8 given. The Types you cannot have at max speed are Fighting, Rock, Fire, and Psychic. Go ahead, try to get them. It's mathematically impossible to do (even hacking can't do it to the best of my knowledge).

Now lets do an example. My Suicune has the IVs 31/3/31/27/30/31 in the order HP, Atk, Def, Spd, SpAtk, SpDef (wow, lucky me, that's one awesome Suicune). What Hidden Power type does it have? Well, let's plug it through the equation:
    Everything is odd except for SpAtk, so I'll use every number but that.

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 0 + 32 = 47
    47 * 15 = 705 (A calculator is handy here)
    705 /63 ~ 11.2 (And here)

11 matches up to Electric on the chart, so that means my Suicune has an HP [Electric]. Cool.

Note: I broke the equation into lines, but it should still be relatively easy to follow. Also note that I rounded my answer from the division, it really doesn't matter as long as the number before the decimal stays the same. In fact, you can just get rid of everything to the right of the division sign at that point (also known as truncating).

How to calculate base power of Hidden Power

OK, so we know how to calculate type for Hidden Power. But that doesn't help us much if we have a base power of 30. Type coverage is only good to a certain extent, right?

So how do we know whether we should be using it power-wise? There's another equation we have to look at.

(IVHP + IVAtk + IVDef + IVSpd + IVSpAtk +IVSpDef) x40 /63 + 30 = Power

Now, before you go pasting the number we used before, these ones follow different rules.

-When HP is divided by 4 and has a remainder of 2 or 3, then it is 1. If not, it is 0.
    -When Atk is divided by 4 and has a remainder of 2 or 3, then it is 2. If not, it is 0.
    -When Def is divided by 4 and has a remainder of 2 or 3, then it is 4. If not, it is 0.
    -When Spd is divided by 4 and has a remainder of 2 or 3, then it is 8. If not, it is 0.
    -When SpAtk is divided by 4 and has a remainder of 2 or 3, then it is 16. If not, it is 0.
    -When SpDef is divided by 4 and has a remainder of 2 or 3, then it is 32. If not, it is 0.

Easy enough to comprehend. For those of you that forgot, a remainder is whatever is left over after you divide (ie: 64 divided by 4 is 16, but 65 divided by 4 is 16 with a remainder of 1).

With all these rules, you'd think it'd be hard to get a perfect Hidden Power Type and Power. It's not. Certain numbers give you both a perfect remainder of 2 or 3 and are odd/even. The numbers are:

For Even- 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30
    For Odd- 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31

So taking my Suicune example, let's try and figure out the Power. If you noticed, all of it's IVs are these perfect IV numbers, but let's plug it through anyways.

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 32 = 63
    63 * 40 = 2520
    2520 / 63 = 40
    40 + 30 = 70

A Base power of 70. My Suicune could act as a great Gyara counter now.

Why you cannot have every combination of IVs and Natures on some pokemon

You remember how I told you that every pokemon has a hidden number (the PID)? Well, it holds a bunch of stuff about the pokemon. It isn't infinite, and there are a certain amount of combinations. 4,294,967,296 to be exact. However, there are 16 natures and 1,073,741,824 different IV combinations (32^6). That means together (Natures and IVs), there are 17,179,869,184 different combinations.

It doesn't take a math genius to figure out that there are less PID combinations than there are Nature/IV combinations

So what does that mean? It means that not every combination of Natures and IVs is possible.

"What!? My all 31 Alakazam is fake! No way!"

Probably, seeing as everyone and their mother uses PokeSav. But no, there is a possibility that your Alakazam is not hacked.

Even though breeding also follows these rules, IVs are overridden. Here's a scenario if this doesn't make sense.

My Magikarp and Gyarados breed (IVs of 30/25/4/6/15/29 and 25/31/5/31/26/10, both HP/Atk/Def/Spd/SpAtk/SpDef respectively). Magikarp is the girl and has an everstone and has a Nature of Adamant. Now, both these IVs are legal on their own, so don't worry about that.

The offspring starts out with randomly generated, legal IVs (and Nature). They will be 2/7/29/14/4/25 (and Adamant) because I randomly chose them. This is all determined from the PID. Check the link in "How IVs are determined" if you want to fully understand this process. If not, then just trust me and move along.

Now the parents pass down IVs. Magikarp will pass down it's 25 HP IV first. Then Gyarados will pass down it's Spd IV of 31. And luckily enough, Gyarados also passes down the third IV of 31. If you don't understand how this works, go read a breeding guide (the one on Smogon by X-Act and someone else who's name escapes me now is excellent).

So now my new Magikarp has IVs of 30/31/29/14/4/25. But wait, those aren't legal IVs with Adamant! The PID doesn't hold that combination! While the PID doesn't hold it, the IVs are still overridden, so it actually is legal. So any combination of IVs can be achieved through breeding. That's why on Shoddy almost all non-legendaries aren't affected by this, because they can be bred or can evolve from something that was bred.

That brings me to legendaries (+non-breedables like Ditto and Unown). They can't be bred, so they don't have every combination of IVs and Natures legally obtainable. You can see this on Shoddy, as when you have a combo of illegal IVs and natures the "IVs" that is normally in black above the real IVs turns red.

So really the only pokemon that this should commonly affect in standard play are pokemon like Cresselia, Heatran, Jirachi, Celebi, Zapdos, Suicune, Azelf, and the occasional Moltres, Entei, Uxie, Raikou, Regi's, (and some other not commonly used legendaries). The PID isn't generated the same in every game (there are three ways it's generated, and the method used is dependant on the game), but as far as I'm aware the same combinations are possible for every pokemon on Shoddy.

So what about the Synchronize trick? Shouldn't that override the Nature of a pokemon, like breeding overrides IVs? Well, no. Synchronize only makes it so that the possibility of finding a certain Nature is set at 50%. The game just makes it so that PIDs with that nature are much more common.

Since Shoddy automatically corrects the IVs for you after you open up the team builder, this normally isn't a problem. But if you want a specific Hidden Power, you may have to deviate a bit. It helps to check to see if you can lower the Attack IV first (since most pokemon using Hidden Power won't need it anyways). Remember to use the numbers with a remainder of 2 or 3 when divided by 4 though, and make sure to stick to an odd or even number.

IV combinations for non-breedables

If you're lazy in figuring out Hidden Power, then you can use this to help figure out Hidden Powers on your legendaries. For the sake of this guide not being way to big, I'm only going to list Hidden Power combinations with Natures paired with them in a Smogon analysis. In order of HP/Atk/Def/Spd/SpAtk/SpDef.

HP [Fighting]-
    Bold: 31/15/30/30/30/26 or 31/23/26/30/30/30
    Modest: 31/23/26/30/30/30 or 31/27/30/30/30/26
    Timid: 31/27/30/30/30/30

HP [Ground]-
    Modest: Works by default. (31/31/31/31/30/30)
    Timid: Works by default. (31/31/31/31/30/30)

HP [Fire]-
    Adamant: 31/30/31/22/26/31 or 31/30/31/26/18/31
    Bold: 31/26/31/30/26/31 or 31/22/31/26/30/31
    Hasty: 31/6/27/30/30/31
    Naive: 31/2/31/30/30/31
    Rash: 31/2/31/30/30/31
    Timid: 31/6/31/30/30/31

HP [Grass]-
    Modest: 31/26/31/31/30/31
    Timid: 31/2/31/31/30/31

HP [Electric]-
    Bold: Works by default (31/31/31/31/30/31)

HP [Psychic]-
    Modest: 31/26/31/30/31/31

HP [Ice]-
    Bold: 31/10/30/31/31/31
    Calm: 31/30/26/31/31/31
    Modest: 31/10/30/31/31/31
    Timid: 31/22/30/31/31/31

If anyone mentions a Hidden Power/Nature combination that seems to warrant a mention, I will add it in.

PM Me if you have any questions or spot any errors.
    WOW!! :shock: Impressive! :crazy:
    Pearl: 1935 1851 0270
    http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/ ... 42e555.png

I kick *** for the Lord!!
    There are a few spelling errors. I'm not sure if it's worth your time correcting.

But in the beginning, "accessable" is spelled "accessible".
    And the first title, I think you meant "they" instead of "the".

There are others but I'm not sure if it's worth pointing out.
    3DS FC: 1349-5735-4132

Lack of spell check will kill me. I got a lot of them proof-reading, but I guess I missed some. Thanks for that. Please point out any others.

And that reminds me of something I forgot.
    I like how you added the topic of being efficient with your EVs. Something that Smogon conveniently left out in one of their guides.
    3DS FC: 1349-5735-4132

Nice job :wink: . Oh and to save you the time click meh. It may be a bit outdated.
    Thanks Raquan. It is slightly outdated though. I was planning on editing it a ton, like adding in easy common Hidden Powers for legendaries like Heatran and Celebi. But I'll add it in for now so I'm not just wasting a post. =)
    Nice guide Diamond
    I love your epic topics
    Congrats on the sticky heh. A good guide for people picking up EV training.
    The reason nothing happenes when they [two Falcon Pawnches] collided was because Nintendo put in a failsafe that prevents the punches from connecting with each other. they put this in to prevent injury to the players and the rest of the world. its the same reason why you cant divide by 0 on a calculator. its got a failsafe as well.

Shoddy Names (smogon/official): noobdemonz | SuperMegaAwesome.
    Updated the IV guide for the most part. It wasn't much, just adding in a link to the PID guide and making things flow more. The one big update is I added that list of Hidden Power/Nature combos. That took a suprisingly short amount of time.

And whoo sticky. Thanks guys. =)
    Diamondplayer44 you are awesome.
    Thank you, this will help so many people.
    This can really help beginners understand how to ev train

Special Thanks to Acer for this awesome sig^^]
    My YT channel
    Wow! That was extremly helpful for EV training. I have trouble EV trainig but this will help me. Thanks a lot :)

av 1/10
    sig 3/10 not as bad as av
    sorry kiddo xD

^totally not postcount++^
    I have one question about the EV section. When you were talking about speed EV and how you should only put enough speed EV's so that you'll be faster than a target group of pokemon, what I don't understand is that why do you have a specific number of EV's if you don't know the IV's of the opponent? If I have a gliscor and I want to be faster than a breloom, however, I don't know what the Breloom's speed IV's are. Do you think I should assume the worst and put enough EV's on my gliscor to outspeed a 31 IV speed breloom? How do you think we should go about that? I think your number of EV's you gave us that we should put on our gliscor's to outspeed breloom assumes that both pokemon have the exact same IV's in speed, which is very unlikely in reality. So what do you think we should do?
    You should just assume they have max IV's then. For hardcore breeders, unlike myself, they aim to get those quad perfects so I don't think that 31 Spe IV's on a Gliscor would be uncommon between all the AR/Pokesav'rs and IV/Hidden Power breeders.
    The reason nothing happenes when they [two Falcon Pawnches] collided was because Nintendo put in a failsafe that prevents the punches from connecting with each other. they put this in to prevent injury to the players and the rest of the world. its the same reason why you cant divide by 0 on a calculator. its got a failsafe as well.

Shoddy Names (smogon/official): noobdemonz | SuperMegaAwesome.
    Yes, always assume a 31 Spd IV. Assuming the best for your opponent means that when you do EV, the chances of them actually mattering will be higher (which is what we're aiming for).
    enourmously helpful ^^
    thanks alot man!
    great but i have a question
    1,was the sychronize thing working on advance??
    2,how about the everstone??
    Alright, I have a few quick questions when it comes to keep track of EVs.

1. What is the best way to keep track of your EVs?
    2. When keeping track of your EVs, do you keep track of the stats, or how many Pokemon you knock out?

I want to be able to keep track of my EVs, but I'm pretty confused.

Magikarp! Use your Splash Attack!
  • To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes