Team "entry hazard"

This team was based around a lead Froslass and mid-late game Tyranitar, looking for any suggestions to help me with potential threats and such :) as I know I have a few, this team was created with guidance by using Smogon and Aragornbirds competitive moveset guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/49990)

THE TEAM...

FROSLASS

Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    @ Focus Sash
    - Taunt
    - Spikes
    - Destiny bond
    - Ice Beam

Why these moves?
    [in]Taunt: To prevent other leads from setting up spikes/stealth rock, or taunting Froslass[/in]
    [in]Spikes: Froslass is a great spike user as it also prevents rapid spin, spikes is a great move for putting small dents into your opponents team (something this team relies a little upon)[/in]
    [in]Destiny Bond: To kill off the opponents lead if he/she decides to kill Froslass, or any sweeper sent out against Froslass once their lead has been taunted[/in]
    [in]Ice Beam: For STAB damage against donphan, ninjask and anything really, Ice Beam was preffered over Shadow Ball for these reasons[/in]
    Strategy: The purpose of my Froslass as defined by smogon is a suicide lead, I usually start with taunt if I feel that the opponent is going to set up or taunt me (with 110 base speed, there are only a few things which are quicker), I then attempt to put down 3 layers of spikes, while they either switch or try and KO me. Focus sash is there to get in the destiny bond at the very end to take the opponents pokemon with me, leveling the score but puts me at an advantage with hopefully 2-3 layers of spikes down on their side of the field. I am usually happy if I can do either of these things with Froslass.

DONPHAN

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Def
    @ Leftovers
    - Rapid spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Assurance

Why these moves?
    [in]Rapid Spin: To spin away spikes/toxic spikes/stealth rock that may have been set up by the opponents lead[/in]
    [in]Stealth Rock: To damage opponents that switch in who are immune to spikes[/in]
    [in]Earthquake: STAB move to damage opponents[/in]
    [in]Assurance: To put a dent in ghosts switching in to block rapid spin, or who are expecting an earthquake (gengar)[/in]
    Strategy: Donphan usually get sent in after I have lost Froslass and (hopefully) have taken down my opponents lead. He is almost like a seccondary lead, the purpose of donphan is to set up stealth rock, and spin away any hazards the opponent has layed down against me, EVs are pretty straight forward in attack and defence to hurt things more with Earthquake and survive more physical based hits, after donphan has done his job, I switch out to any of the following depending on the moves of my opponent

SALAMENCE

Rash nature (+SpAtk, -SpDef)
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
    @ Life Orb
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Brick Break
    - Roost

Why these moves?
    [in]Draco Meteor: To deal Massive STAB damage to anybody (apart from steels)[/in]
    [in]Fire Blast: To hurt steel types switching in on a draco meteors, namely metagross and skarmory[/in]
    [in]Brick Break: To deal physical damage and 2HKO blissey and heatran after damage by Stealth Rock and Spikes[/in]
    [in]Roost: To restore life lost by life orb and any damage taken by stealth rock (providing it is still on the field)[/in]
    Strategy: My opponent usually sends out a water type against donphan, to which I will respond with my Mixmence, strategy is simply, scare off and kill as many of the opponents pokemon as I can with hard hitting draco meteors, and which my special attack has been lowered enough, Brick breaks, in the mean while roosting off lost health

DUSKNOIR

Impish (+Def, -SpAtk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 Def
    @ Leftovers
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch

Why these moves?
    [in]Will-O-Wisp: To cripple physical attackers with a burn, or anything else I feel like burning :)[/in]
    [in]Pain Split: To regenerate health in order to stay in longer as Dusknoir has very low HP and Speed, I survive an attack from my opponent and use Pain Split to regain health while stealing his[/in]
    [in]Earthquake: Dusknoir's main damage dealing method, especially against heatran who otherwise would wall this set completely (if dusknoir was running fire punch)[/in]
    [in]Ice Punch: To hurt dragons mainly, ice punch was preferred over thunder punch due to the great coverage having Earthquake and Ice punch give me[/in]
    Strategy: If I feel that my opponent will use an ice move against Donphan, swtiching in Salamence would be a stupid idea, so instead I bring in Dusknoir, a Tank who also doubles as a spin blocker, and not to mention saves my Tyranitar from Close Combats. I use Dusknoir to cripple the opponent even more so with burns, ontop of their damage already taken by stealth rock and spikes, with using earthquake and ice punch along side painslip, I have (to my own suprise) managed to sweep a couple of teams, at this stage I cannot think of any use for fire punch or thunder punch

TYRANITAR

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
    @ Choice Band/Expert Belt
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Aqua Tail

Why these moves?
    [in]Stone Edge: For massive damage dealing potential with STAB boost[/in]
    [in]Crunch: Same reason as Stone edge, decided to go with Crunch over earthquake as already Donphan and Dusknoir are using it, and crunch still can hurt steel types[/in]
    [in]Pursuit: Tyranitar seems to scare off alot of opponents, so pursuit is here for that very reason[/in]
    [in]Aqua Tail: To get past bulky ground types and other tyranitars[/in]
    Strategy: Tyranitar is my main sweeper, this is the usual choice band set, however I am not too fond of the restrictions choice band gives Tyranitar as I like to be able to hit many things without worrying about switching in and out, I am thinking of expert belt to replace the choice band as my mind hurts trying to write all this and I cant really think of any other suitable item, I guess it also is a suprise to the opponents who think tyranitar is locked into a certain move.

LUCARIO

Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpAtk)
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    @ Life Orb
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Extreme Speed
    - Ice Punch

Why these moves?
    [in]Swords Dance: Swords Dance to set up for a late game sweep[/in]
    [in]Close Combat: Massive STAB and damage dealing power, even without a swords dance boost[/in]
    [in]Extreme Speed: Strong priority move for revenge killing[/in]
    [in]Ice Punch: To get past Gliscor who, without ice punch, Lucario would have alot of trouble against[/in]
    Strategy: As a late-game sweeper, lucario switches in against an expected steel againt against tyranitar or anything else it will be able to resist, from that point onwards it will attempt to swords dance if the opponent switches, otherwise it will try and finish off the opponents team by the means of a very powerful close combat and high priority extreme speed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So theres my team, I have found my main set backs are that when the opponent does begin to set up on me, I have little methods of prevention against it, and the fact that I cannot phaze. Metagross is also a large threat (mainly coz im noob and don't know what the **** to do against metagross without Salamence's fire blast), any tips/suggestions/critiques/comments are greatly appreciated!
    If you come up against Metagross,Earthquake will do.
    with your lucario, gliscor still outspeeds and can KO with earthquake you before you can ice punch it....so maybe use crunch to take non-scarfrotom better...

Plat FC: 3438 7652 7659
    lol yeah but dusknoir never manages to kill it, donphan is my only change i guess :P

ahhk i can see how crunch would help, even with gengar too who resists extreme speed and clost combat.
    What can i do about gliscor / salamence then without ice punch?
    off the top of my head, you could use a suicune set over dusknior, you lose a spin blocker but gain a special attacker who can use water/ice/electric (which you dont really have) that can take on gliscor/salamence
    crunch on lucario wont rid you of gengar, hes still quicker so he might KO you first, to kill gengar though you can pursuit trap it with ttar

Plat FC: 3438 7652 7659
    But his team is based on setting entry hazards like there's no tomorrow. A better alternative to keep up the pressure on the opponent would be to swap Dusknoir for Rotom. Donphan is bulky enough to survive most stuff, and Earthquake back; Dusknoir can't do much beyond firing Will-o-Wisp which is nothing against Zapdos. And Rotom; much on this team is instacrippled by Rotom. Beyond Froslass- Which won't do much damage anyway- Rotom can Will-o-Wisp EVERYONE on this team. Well, not so much for Salamence but with Sandstorm up every turn providing Salamence attacks you suffer 12+10+6% damage, which stacks to a massive 28 percent- And there's no solid promise that the opponent will get OHKOed. Rotom will but MixMence is common these days and many will switch to a steel-type instantly to take the damage (Skarmory and Jirachi function well in soaking up Draco Meteors as well as Metagross, but the lack of recovery on Metagross's part is worrying; another option is Blissey for the opponent who can scout the physical move you have with Protect and switch to an appropriate counter.)

So, for starters, I would replace Salamence for a more stable special attacker that won't be affected by burns as much. Heatran would actually benefit from them, and I see no reason why you can't use a Choice Scarf Heatran in Salamence's place. Well, that'll aggravate your Ground-type weakness, which leads me to conclude that Zapdos would be a better choice, capable of Roosting off damage and attacking with a stat that doesn't get cut by burn.
    <Reboot needed.>

Seizure is boss. Truth.

Quote from Inferno »

Quote from LordNexxt »

Don't worry, n00bs will be n00bs~

Story of my life. xD
    Just gonna point out that ScarfTyranitar can revenge every member of this team sans Donphan and almost every team runs a bulky water capable of dealing with Donphan. :/

I'm also reserving this post so I can make a full on rate later, so look forward to it.
    Personally i'd reccomend running scarftar instead, He revenges alot better and you dont have to worry about being will-o-wisped by bulkier rotom-(H/w/c/a) variants. Additionally he's faster than scizor so if they mispredict and try to get a U-turn off you can take them out.
    Heart Gold Fc:0088-5060-9660
    Thanks for the advice everyone,

as i have recently discovered, machamp and gliscor and rip this team apart, i feel i need to change some things around, salamence is providing good coverage against skarmory and metagross with fireblast, but nothing zapdos cannot do, so i will consider switching mence for zapdos

dusknoirs pain split and will-o-wisp have become quite usefull for me in certain situations (as well as spin blocking), what rotom variant would you suggest instead?

i look forward to your review Gabo :)

thanks for the tip red, ill have to try him out to see whether he suits or not
    bump.. anyone else have suggestions?
  • To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes