Moveset/nature for a beginner Totodile?

Hi!

I've just bought HeartGold, and I'm going to start the game with a Totodile.
    So my question is, what is the best nature and the best achievable moveset for a non-breeded Totodile?

And, is it possible for this pokemon to learn Dragon Dance and Ice Punch within these terms?

Regs!
    No. Both Dragon Dance and Ice Punch are egg moves. A good nature for a Totodile, though, would be Adamant or Jolly. Don't give it Surf if you have one of those, because both natures are minus Attack. Try for Waterfall, Crunch, Ice Fang and Earthquake. TM Earthquake is found in Victory Road.

i hit the bottom and escaped
    Formerly ethan06.

Active RPs:
    Pokécalypse: The Line Between Life And Death
    Driven to the Brink of Insanity

Friend Safari: Dragon. Credit to Bulbapedia archive lol (Sliggoo/Gabite/Noibat)
    Friend Code: 4725 7984 0518 PM me so I know you've added me :)

((Click this link for a terrifying and kinda trippy experience))

Quote from ethan06 »

No. Both Dragon Dance and Ice Punch are egg moves. A good nature for a Totodile, though, would be Adamant or Jolly. Don't give it Surf if you have one of those, because both natures are minus Attack. Try for Waterfall, Crunch, Ice Fang and Earthquake. TM Earthquake is found in Victory Road.

Thanks. So, how do I get Dragon Dance and Ice Punch then? Do I have to breed the Totodile with a pokemon who already have learned those moves? If yes, which pokemon is this?
    Yes, but the Totodile will have to be female, and the one that knows the moves will have to be male and compatible. As for who can learn the moves, the Dratini line can learn Dragon Dance, and Dragonite can learn Ice Punch from a Move Tutor. There's also Smeargle and Sketch
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    Oki, thanks!
    I think it's better to breed a strong Totodile later in the game then.. then I can get the right Nature and moveset, and I can take my time to EV train it.
    The pokemon will have better stats and IV's if it is hatched from an egg, right?
    Some of the IV's are determined from the parents. Each parent has their own IV's, and 3 of the possible 12 will be picked from both parents, and the rest will be random, all calculated when the egg is laid.

The great thing is that they allow parents and children to breed with each other, so if you get a child with the right IV but wrong nature, you can use that child to continue breeding with the parent to improve your chances of getting what you need.

I would also get a pokemon with Magma Body or Flame Body, and have it in your party. That'll cut down the time it takes for an egg to hatch
    Great. I have never heard the tips about the Magma/Flame Body. I'll try it, fer sure!

What do you mean with 3 of the possible 12 will be picked from both parents? Do you mean 3 of 12 IV's? :)
    Yes, each parent has 6 IV's each, one for each stat. Out of the possible 12 IV's, 3 will be randomly picked.
    Quote from jdb1984 »

Yes, each parent has 6 IV's each, one for each stat. Out of the possible 12 IV's, 3 will be randomly picked.

Ohh , could you please explain that a little closer, i'm a little too much confused here. I don't think I get it. Label me stupid if you want! :b
    Okay, let's say Bob the Torterra has these IV's

HP:23
    Attack:10
    Defense:13
    Sp. attack:16
    Sp.Defense:5
    Speed:31

And Sue the Vileplume had these

HP:7
    Attack:16
    Defense:22
    Sp. attack:27
    Sp.Defense:10
    Speed:29

If they bred, the resulting Oddish will randomly take three of those IV's and use them for it's own, and the ones it didn't take will be randomly generated.

A possible spread would be this:

HP:23 (From Bob)
    Attack:5 (Random)
    Defense:22 (From Sue)
    Sp. attack:17 (Random)
    Sp.Defense:5(From Bob)
    Speed:9(Random)

So the parents determine half of the child's IV's.
    Quote from jdb1984 »

Okay, let's say Bob the Torterra has these IV's
    HP:23 (From Bob)
    Attack:5 (Random)
    Defense:22 (From Sue)
    Sp. attack:17 (Random)
    Sp.Defense:5(From Bob)
    Speed:9(Random)

Oh, thanks! So an Invisible Value is all the points for a single stat? Like, for example the yellow text above? That's an IV?
    Yes, sort of. The IV's (individual values) are determined for each individual pokemon and cannot be changed, and they tell you the potential of that stat being high. The IV's are also different from pokemon to pokemon, and it's one of the reasons why pokemon of the same species can have different stats.

IV's can't be seen through normal gameplay, and the only way to find them is enter the stats of an untrained pokemon in an IV calculator
    So a new-hatched pokemon can have (example) 15 in defence, because this stats could be determined from one of the parents? But, I won't be able to see the 15 stats in defence because they are invisible, right, or? :)
  • To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes