Best OU Leads?

What do you guys think will be the best leads in OU?

This is the hardest role for me to pick..  I think Stamie could be good, but I like Skarmory too because it can set up both spikes and stealth rock and has whirlwind and brave bird.  I have seen some people using Gengar with taunt and destiny bond or explosion.

Who are you guys leading with and why?

Subcribe to my YouTube to see my battles and become my friend!  Interested in battling or doing a guest upload, message me or tweet me out for a quicker reply!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainSaltyPantz

Pokemon X: FC: 4184-3381-0290  IGN: CaptainSalty

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/CaptSaltyPantz

ATM, I just can't stop using Greninja lol. The combination of its excellent speed, Protean, Spikes, Taunt and U-turn makes it pretty well equiped to face nearly anything it encounters as a lead.

||||  The Salty Dogs  4656-6947-3701 |  Ask me Anything  ||||

Quote from _Sinister_M_ »

ATM, I just can't stop using Greninja lol. The combination of its excellent speed, Protean, Spikes, Taunt and U-turn makes it pretty well equiped to face nearly anything it encounters as a lead.

Do you like him more at lead than at Sp. Sweeper?

Subcribe to my YouTube to see my battles and become my friend!  Interested in battling or doing a guest upload, message me or tweet me out for a quicker reply!

I usually lead with talonflame, but when the opponent has tyranitar I go with Greninja

5155-3105-3211

ninetales, volcarona, and magmar.

hatching eggs until I get shiny kangaskhan. giving them all pokerus through battling near a pokemon with pokerus and wonder trading them. 72 eggs hatched.

Quote from Bigyboy »

I usually lead with talonflame, but when the opponent has tyranitar I go with Greninja

What moveset does your talonflame have?

Quote from CaptainSaltyPantz »

I like Greninja so much as a lead, I've not really tried him as a sweeper. But in my experience, it doesn't get that far before being knocked out anyway, so I'm not too sold on its offensive value.

talonflame jolly

life orb

gale wings

steal wing

brave bird

flare blitz

Swords dance

252 attack

252 speed

4 hp

5155-3105-3211

ninetales, volcarona, and magmar.

hatching eggs until I get shiny kangaskhan. giving them all pokerus through battling near a pokemon with pokerus and wonder trading them. 72 eggs hatched.

Quote from CaptainSaltyPantz »

I like Greninja so much as a lead, I've not really tried him as a sweeper. But in my experience, it doesn't get that far before being knocked out anyway, so I'm not too sold on its offensive value.

Same here, I'm loving a lead with Greninja. I've been using him like this:

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot
    - Taunt

This one I use doesn't have much in the form of setting up, but it's good to use the unexpected taunt on a foe who is trying to set up stealth rocks, spikes etc.
    Especially when they are forced to switch the next turn. I also do quite often use this guy as a sweeper. He can quite often OHKO anything that has a weakness to one of his types, and Grass Knot can OHKO a enemies Mamoswine with Greninja's greatest weakness: Priority moves.

3DS/Pokemon X/Y FC: 2750 - 1139 - 2994

Hmm... That's very different from what I've been running:

Greninja@ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Spikes
    - U-Turn
    - Taunt

Jolly and max attack is only really there to power up U-turn which, in particular, hits opposing Greninja's and Espeons like a truck. It is pretty reliable at getting up plenty of layers of spikes, as well as shutting down opposing leads and gaining momentum on the predicted switch after a Taunt.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite

Synchronize (Mega: Pixilate)

252 SpA, 252 Spd

Moonblast

Psyshock

Calm Mind

Will-O-Wisp

Hmm... That's very different from what I've been running:

Greninja@ Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Spikes
    - U-Turn
    - Taunt

Jolly and max attack is only really there to power up U-turn which, in particular, hits opposing Greninja's and Espeons like a truck. It is pretty reliable at getting up plenty of layers of spikes, as well as shutting down opposing leads and gaining momentum on the predicted switch after a Taunt.

I actually like this set as well. I've been considering to actually use a reset bag on my Greninja or train a new one up in attack and teach it water shuriken, especially since I've lately been getting destroyed by Talonflame in Rating Battles where I can only choose 3 pokemon. Do you think this would be a good attacking and lead set for the Greninja I have? (It has no spikes btw, but can you say if I maybe should get spikes?)

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - U-Turn
    - Water Shuriken
    - Taunt

3DS/Pokemon X/Y FC: 2750 - 1139 - 2994

In Pokébank I'm using physical Scarf Genesect. He's pretty broken and will probably wind up in Ubers, but he does very well against most common leads and can put the opponent in a lose/lose situation from the start with U-Turn (if they lead with Greninja, for instance, they can stay in and let me OHKO them with U-Turn, or switch out and let me switch in an appropriate counter to what they bring in).

Genesect@Choice Scarf
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 252Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Naive Nature
    - U-Turn
    - Iron Head
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam

Genesect matches up pretty poorly against steel-type hazard leads- Skarmory, Klefki, Heatran- so if I see one of those in the team preview I usually send in a Volt Switcher/bulky Ground to lead instead. Genesect also matches up kinda poorly against Sticky Web leads: it beats them, but I need an Iron Head flinch or they'll set up Sticky Web and I get 5-0ed anyway. Fortunately, Sticky Web leads are all extremely predictable, and I can usually catch them off guard with Taunt MegaGengar; by Taunting/MegaVolving on turn one, the Sticky Webber is reliably killed off and I ruin the opponent's entire gameplan. Good fun.

I've been using a Volt Switch Life Orb Jolteon in regular, non-Pokébank OU to try and get the same effect. It kinda works, Jolteon has some really good lead match ups (it eats Greninjas and beats Talonflame), but it's not as helpful in the lategame as Genesect and doesn't have as many good matchups (ground types are horrible since you can't win and you can't Volt Switch out). I'm not sure if I'd recommend it.
    Last edited by OctashAgain: 11/4/2013 7:31:40 AM

???
    FC: 1349-5268-6092, IGN is Dee. Electric Safari with Electrode/Pikachu/Galvantula

I like using Wash Rotom Volt Switch/Charge Beam,Substitute, Will-o-wisp, Signature Move. 180 def, 90 Sp.Def 240Hp and 1 Sp.Atk... With leftovers. 

3DS

Friend Code: 4656-7023-6951

Add Me and Ill Add you... Friend Saffari Away

Crawdaunt @ life orb
    adaptability
    Knock off
    aqua jet
    substitute
    ddance/sword dance

Idk if its OU but i want some critique on it please. 

FC: 0490-5776-3855
    Grass safari:pansage, gogoat, and swadloon.
    IGN: Ash
    Favorite Pokemon: Metagross, Aegislash, Ludicolo and Rayquaza
    Shinies: Lots of 4-6 IV!!! =)
    Pokedex: 718/718!
    find me on the "Pokemon academy" and "Poke Frenzy" FB groups
    PM me on how to get any non kalos shiny or non 5/6 iv pokemon w/ certain moves

I think that even if you do have a dedicated lead, it's best to observe what your opponent has and predict what you think they might lead with, then choose a match up for that. This will be your best lead. After all, prediction starts at team preview (not after choosing your lead).

That said, fast u-turn and volt switch users make effective leads most of the time, as you can simply escape if you don't like what you got put up against. If your lead is fast and frail there's always a risk of being outsped by a scarfer though. Fast taunters like sableye are also good as many players start with a pokemon that has utility move like hazards.

While this topic is old and has been revived, I feel like its a relevant topic and so I'll let this one slide. Just be sure to check the date of the last post, and if its over two weeks / off the front page, then please don't post in it. If you still feel like its an important topic, then Private Message me and we'll see.

I don't think its any surprise what my leads been recently. Lead Machamp is still kicking butt and stomping the first few turns. Nothing really catch switch into it safely, and it takes hits really well:

Machamp @ Assault Vest
    Ability: No Guard
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Dynamic Punch
    - Bullet Punch
    - Knock Off
    - Stone Edge / Ice Punch

If you don't know what to lead with, then I agree with QuagsireXClefable. Volt Turners make great leads, because they can ease that turn one prediction. You don't gain much other than breaking their Sash, so its best to have something that can follow up and take out the faster PKMN. But it means you have an amazing second turn advantage, which imo can prove just as useful.

I've been running this Cobalion set as my near-enough-dedicated lead for a while now:

Cobalion@ Focus sash
    Justified
    Naive (+Spe, -Sp.Def)
    252Sp.Atk/ 4Atk/ 252Spe 
    -Close Combat
    -HP Ice
    -Volt Switch
    -Stealth rock

This Cobalion matches up so well against so many things; between its physical STAB, special HP Ice, and Volt switch, it has an answer to pretty much anything that it faces. It's also hilarious how practically every game someone switches their Gliscor or Landorus in on Cobalion. Justified is also good fun for switching into the now ever-common Knock off if Coba makes it further in the game.

I've been playing heavy offence recently and I've been having fun with this Excadrill lead.

Odd Mon Out (Excadrill) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin

Excadrill does well against hazard leads since he can spin away their hazards while setting his own. Excadrill also does well against common VoltTurn leads like Genesect and Rotom-W. But the main appeal of Excadrill is that Mold Breaker Stealth Rock pierces through Magic Bounce (ofc now that I've started running him I've fought like 2 Espeons in 100 games, whereas I fought a Magic Bouncer every other game when I was running Deoxys-S). My team is also kinda electric weak so having something to deter mindless Volt Switching is nice.

???
    FC: 1349-5268-6092, IGN is Dee. Electric Safari with Electrode/Pikachu/Galvantula

I think I might want to try that Cobalion. Looks really nice, but I'll need to RNG one.

And I agree with Anthrix. It smashes stuff so bad. When they THINK they can stop me, I can Knock Off the item and go.

I'm a Garchomp. Are you? Sprite credit to Vee2. Banner to SlipperyBuizel Extended Signature

I actually quite like opening with a Mega Zard Y recently, even more so in doubles with a Chlorophyll sweeper at his side. Usually a Venusaur or Sawsbuck. 

FC: 0430 - 8494 - 2170 IGN: Shana

Safari: Pupitar/Boldore/Shuckle 

Want list: 

• 5 IV+ Pokés! (Pref UU/RU/NU Tier Pokes)

I'm open to any other offers also :)

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes