Tyrantrum

Tyrantrum is a fantastic fossil. He is something we wanted for a while, and he delivers. Here is the Analysis.

Stats: 82 HP/121 Atk/119 Def/69 SpA/59 SpD/71 Spe

Interesting Moves:

Dragon Dance
    Rock Polish
    Fire Fang
    Poison Fang
    Ice Fang
    Thunder Fang
    Stone Edge
    Dragon Claw
    Dragon Tail
    Stealth Rock
    Head Smash

Abilities: Strong Jaw/Rock Head (HA) (Unreleased)

Potential Sets:

Tyrantrum@Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Strong Jaw
    Nature: Adamant/JollyEVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
    Moves:
    -Dragon Dance/Rock Polish
    -Dragon Claw
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    -Fire Fang
    A Set with Flawless coverage. I use this set. He does amazing. Adamant+Leftovers is what I run, but LO is an alternative for Power and Jolly for Speed, but I recommend Jolly with Rock Polish instead of DD, and with Jolly, run max Speed. Dragon Dance is my preferred booster, as it boosts his great 121 base Attack and his mediocre base 71 speed. Dragon Claw is an obvious STAB, and it is the Strongest he gets. No Outrage for him. Stone Edge is powerful, and is chosen over Head Smash because of the nasty recoil. If you don't want to risk Missing, try Rock Slide, but I wouldn't go any lower. Fire Fang rounds off his coverage by smashing Steels like Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn and many more. If Rock Head is released, it can be used, but drop Fire Fang for a more powerful and better move.

Tyrantrum@Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Moves:
    -Fire Fang
    -Stone Edge
    -Dragon Claw
    -Head Smash/Crunch
    The Lower Class of Tyrantrum. This set isn't anything spectacular because of the benefits for his boosts. In 1 turn, you can reach the power Choice Scarf and Choice Band give you with Dragon Dance. The set follows the same thing as above, Choice Band with Jolly, Scarf with Adamant or Jolly. Speed is definitely used here because he misses those extremely helpful boosts. Fire Fang hits Steels, Dragon Claw is STAB, Stone Edge is STAB, and Crunch can be used for coverage and Head Smash when you need the power.

Tyrantrum@Leftovers
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Atk
    Moves:
    -Rock Polish
    -Stealth Rock
    -Fire Fang
    -Dragon Claw/Stone Edge
    The Lead Tyrantrum. Rock Polish is the obvious booster because he is supposed to get rocks up. He has the Physical Bulk to do so. Fire Fang is used over having both STABs because common leads like Galvantula, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress get scared by it. The Last slot is to a STAB move of choice granting coverage where you need it.

Support:

For support, Tyrantrum will beg for any hazard, especially Sticky Web. He would like something to take care of all of his common weaknesses. A Steel type like Magnezone and a flying type like Noivern or Talonflame will help. He will even beg for T-Wave. He would also like stuff to stop his resists and his checks and such. A special Wall would even help because he has horrid Special Defense.

Tiering:

Time to talk about the tiering of this beast. Let us look at the typing. It is really bad because it has a common weakness to Fighting types, which are used a lot in RU/UU/OU, and Ground types, which is mainly EQ from Chomp and Exca. That, paired with 6 weaknesses, means it needs a lot of proper support. I predict he will end up in RU or UU, but he will be OU Viable.

Checks and Counters:

Tyrantrum will have a lot. Any Fairy type gets him good. Klefki and Mawile are the least of his worries. Sylveon, which can have Pixilate Hyper Voice, will SLAUGHTER HIM. A good fast Pokemon that has a Special Move that is Super Effective on him will stop him. His physical side is extremely bulky, and anything Special can kill him really.

I hope you enjoyed this analysis. Picture Credit to the X and Y Website.

Last edited by Garchomp: 1/12/2014 8:20:45 PM

I'm a Garchomp. Are you? Sprite credit to Vee2. Banner to SlipperyBuizel Extended Signature

A shame his HA is unreleased. Rock Head + Head Smash has only been seen before on Aggron, and Aggron usually Mega's, losing its ability (As well as losing STAB on Head Smash). Come to think of it, in a way, Tyrantrum and Aggron are rather alike. Tyrantrum's slightly more powerful, and Aggron's higher defenses are made up for by Tyrantrum's slightly higher HP and Speed.

Sometimes, I just like to sit back and think about sitting back.

I think he doesn't need his HA. You miss out on Ferrothorn. And Ferrothorn is awesome. And bulky. A base 65 Power move is useless. That is why Chomp is seen with Fire Blast.

I'm a Garchomp. Are you? Sprite credit to Vee2. Banner to SlipperyBuizel Extended Signature

I think he kinda wants Head Smash, with or without Rock Head, especially on boosting sets.

Stone Edge is only really there for the power, otherwise you'll be using Dragon Claw for reliability. So why not use Head Smash instead? Sure the recoil hurts, but the power is noticeably higher. He 2HKOs Skarmory after a boost, where as he can't with Stone Edge. Gliscor is in the same boat.

The recoil really takes away from his bulk, especially when it comes to taking priority moves. He's neutral to Aqua Jet and Shadow Sneak, and resists Extreme Speed, Brave Bird, Fake Out and Quick Attack, which are all pretty common. However, he's weak to Bullet Punch, Mach Punch and Ice Shard, which he won't be surviving with or without Head Smash recoil.

Aggron showed us that having a Life Orb boosted Head Smash nukes Skarmory. With only 110 Attack, he 2HKOs her with a Life Orb or Choice Band. Sure he doesn't have recoil, but its still a good investment. Even Life Orb Relicanth (90 Attack) has a 97.7% chance to 2HKO 252 / 252 Impish Skarmory after Stealth Rock and Leftovers. Head Smash is ridiculously powerful, so I think the pros outweighs the cons, especially when you want a wallbreaking sweeper, rather than a clean up sweeper.

Tyrantrum is in no way reliable though, with a ton of weaknesses and an 80% accurate move. But the sheer power of Head Smash shouldn't be overlooked, especially when he has better Speed, more Attack and a better typing than Aggron.

Hmnn, base speed 70, seems like he could do quite well in a trick room team, he brings quite a package that many other trick roomers could only dream of. He is not the usual psychic/ghost trick roomer like slowbro/bronzong, nor is he the defensive tanks like tyranitar or rhyperior. I can definitely see him as being great in a sand team. Maybe even in trick sand.

As for the lead set, have u thought about using him as a phazer, he does get roar/dragon tail, and stealth rocks. He could function as basically a better Druddigan, and even has pretty cool duel typing.

In fact in a trick room team u could maybe even pair him with the special atking poison/dragon type Dragalge who also has pretty low speed (which is rly the only thing holding her back as a traditional bulky sweeper). Even though this is compounding the type weaknesses they both share, its just a bit more fun food for thought.

FC: 2079-7190-9785

the Best Pokemon is Oddish, and the pinnacle of hope for all

Zard X roosts while Y dances

I got 6-0'd by a tyrantrum the other day and decided to try one out myself. I have been running this tyrantrum set to great success,

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb

Jolly 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Dragon Dance

Stone Edge

Ice Fang

Fire Fang

I use my magic bounce espeon to set up dual screens and then with dual screens up he can easily get up a ddance and start sweeping. Tyrantrum has now become one of my favorite Pokemon to use due to his awesome looks and his great power. A lot of people see tyrantrum and they don't see it as a big threat, but if used right it can sweep whole teams.

Last edited by acam333: 1/16/2014 4:39:37 PM

FC - 0619-4647-5767

IGN - Austin

@Anthrix I think I like his role as a Set up Cleaner. I had once swept a WHOLE team with it. I can load the Replay later. It is my boosting set. And he has Fire Fang to OHKO Aegislash at +2 or +1. I forgot the calc. And the game in which I swept him 5-0 I believe, I got rather lucky because he missed Stone Miss. With Mega Aero.

@Abirum What you state about TR is false. He can't get it.

Phazing options can be used. Dragon Tail though, or Roar to hit Fairies. Soundproof is barely seen.

In the end, TR teams are really hard to use as you will waste TWO turns of TR getting Tyrantrum in.

@Acam Interesting, but why not try Dragon Claw over Ice Fang? Ice Fang has no significant coverage Dragon Claw+Stone Edge+Fire Fang doesn't grant, and running Jolly doesn't help. A Base 71 is rather low, and investing in it is rather bad. The set I use is Max Bulk and Max Atk for more power and annihilation.

i know he doesn't get trick room, but his speed should let him be able to take advantage of it anyway.

He can do so, but it isgoing to need to be a Volt Switcher or a U-Turner to get him in. You only get THREE turns to do some work, which is rather sad.

Ice fang let's me hit ground types for super effective damage. Dragon claw would have higher base power due to STAB but ice fang can OHKO Garchomp, Flygon, gliscor, and several other threats even without a ddance boost. Jolly nature + speed investment allows it to out speed base 130's after a ddance which helps a lot. I might make another with a bulkier set like yoursand test it out to compare and see which I prefer.

FC - 0619-4647-5767

IGN - Austin

Dragon Claw should still be used. Then again, Dragon STAB is terrible. I think it can come down to your choice.

well i guess now u trading outright damage with dragon claw for great damage for where it counts against ground types and dragons with ice fang.

80 BP = 120 after stab so 240 against dragons, versus 65 BP = 97.5 after strong jaw so ~150 versus pure dragons and grounds and ~300 versus dual dragon-ground/flying (u don't come across many pure dragons, most are dual types (flying and ground being the most common and powerful) however this doesn't help u against 4 other very popular dual types (kingdra, latios, hydreigon and charzard X) Kingdra is probably the only dragon aside from latios/latias thatcause u significant problems, either hitting hard on the special side or resisting u unless u carry dragon/fairy stab.

but consider ditching the speed EVs for HP Evs, this will help against taking hits from steel/rock/water priority, plus base 70 speed is not that fast or slow, (good enough against tanks/walls/bulky attackers/supports, not enough to race) but its not reliable enough to sweep without a DD anyway,so maybe invest mostly in HP but leave a chunk in Speed. (not sure but is 56 speed EVs enough? to out speed after a single DD most fast sweepers?)

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes