Damp Rock team

Hey, I am having a tournament with some friends and was thinking of running a damp rock team because drizzle has been nerfed. Legendaries and mega-pokemon are not allowed. My team is a manual rain team that is offensively based. If you see any glaring problems or have any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

Klefki @ Damp rock
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Toxic
    - Spikes
    - Foul Play

Klefki's main function on the team is to set up Rain Dance. With Rain Dance up, Klefki sheds its weakness to fire leaving him only weak to ground type moves. If a ground using pokemon does not switch in, Klefkie will start setting up spikes that will aid the offensive side of the team. Toxic will be used against any bulky pokemon that face Klefki while Foul Play prevents it from being taunt bait. 

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    -Ice Beam
    -Giga Drain
    -Hydro Pump
    -Rain Dance

With the combination of Life orb and Rain Dance, Hydro pump devastates most other Pokemon. Giga drain allows Ludicolo to break through bulky water types and replenish health depleted by life orb. Ice beam rounds out the pokemon coverage allowing it to hit grass and dragon types for more damage. Rain Dance allows Ludicolo to keep rain going and is a must considering Ludicolo has swift swim.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
    Modest Nature
    -Surf
    -Hydro Pump
    -Draco Meteor
    -Ice Beam

Thanks to Rain set up by Ludicolo or Klefki, Kingdra can hit hard. With powerful stab moves like Draco Meteor and Hydro pump Kingdra can dent most Pokemon. Ice Beam helps round out coverage while surf hits Pokemon pretty hard and is more accurate than hydro pump. Another way Kingdra benefits from the rain is Swift Swim. 

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -U-turn
    -Pursuit

In the rain, Scizor's 4x weakness to fire drops to 2x. Scizor works well with Kingdra because it can take down Kingdra's counters like Ferrthorn and Blissey. Furthermore, Bullet punch can take down most fairy types since most fairies are specially defensive. U-turn is great for scouting and it hits psychic types hard. Pursuit is great to take down any ghost types that resist water moves like jellicent.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
    Mild Nature 
    -Hurricane
    -Thunder
    -Rain Dance
    -Earthquake

With 100% accuracy in the rain, both Hurricane and Thunder become quite reliable. Both of the statuses that these moves have benefit the team as well. Earthquake allows Dragonite to take on electric type pokemon with the combination of multiscale ensures its survival. Dragonite is also my third pokemon that can set up Rain Dance. 

Gastrodon @ Wise Glasses
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 172 HP / 84 Def / 252 SpA
    Modest Nature
    -Surf
    -Toxic
    -Recover
    -Earth Power

Gastrodon can counter most water types because of Storm Drain. With a boost because of its ability and Rain, Gastrodon can OHKO Breloom along with some other fragile resistant sweepers. Recover extends Gastrodons longevity and toxic can weaken stall pokemon. Gastrodon's main selling point is its ability to switch into water moves and prevent other pokemon from taking advantage of rain.

Play Gastro Defensively.

I'm a Garchomp. Are you? Sprite credit to Vee2. Banner to SlipperyBuizel Extended Signature

Could you expand on that please and physically defensive I assume?

Both. You need a wall to be successful.

I'm a Garchomp. Are you? Sprite credit to Vee2. Banner to SlipperyBuizel Extended Signature

Quote from FireFighterflame
    Play Gastro Defensively.

You really need to start putting a lot more meat in your rates rather than leaving it as that because they can be considered an "empty rate". Explain why Gastrodon should be defensive and what are its benefits for it going defensive over offensive because people will start to wonder why they should make that change.

@Scramble_: It could mean either Physically Defensive or Specially Defensive.
    Last edited by Scrafty: 10/31/2013 5:46:26 PM

Dex completed: 4/27/2014 | Avi and sig by Shhmew| Extended Sig~ | Sprite Shop
    Lake Valor (warning, no auto censors for swearing)

Sorry Scrafty. You should play it defensively more because Attack wise it doesn't do TOO great. If you play Defensively, more Rain. Rain Dance over Ice Beam with a Defensive set equals pretty good. If you don't feel like using this much then here is an Alternative.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP/132 Def/124 SpD

Nature: Relaxed (Def+, Spe-)

Moves:

-Leech Seed

-Stealth Rock

-Protect

-Power Whip/Gyro Ball/Spikes

(Set by Scrafty, tweaked a bit by me)

You talk about running in rain. Like you stated with Scizor, x4 goes down to x2. This works REALLY nice. I used this and am VERY familiar with it. Basically go for SR against a threat and Leech Seed against a Hazard Setter. Then set up SR if you went with Seed and Vice Versa. Power Whip is to do SOMETHING and counter other Water types. Gyro Ball is because you are already slow. And Spikes for more Hazards. It takes hits pretty well.

Would Ferrothorn have enough defensive bulk to withstand boosted water type moves? If so I will probably switch him in for a added grass and fairy resistance.

He is a Grass type so it would be neutral Damage. If you run in Ubers, this can shut down Kyogre like a boss and take all Water Spouts. Even if they are boosted.

I have no exceptionally specially defensive Pokemon. Could this be a problem?

I don't think so, a wall might just slow down any momentum you have going, seeing as this is a very offensive team. Scizor also makes quite a good tank, it has a great typing (in rain), good HP, and above average physical defense. He should work fine as a physical wall, and I don't think many special attacks will be leaving too much of a dent (minus fire). I'd say your team is fine, but a wall could work just as well as an offensive Gastro. I might consider getting another rain user, though, as your team somewhat falls apart if your Klefki happens to fall. Great team, though.

Black 2 Friend-code- 0348 1061 7948

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X mainly)- 4141-2787-5429 

I understand that I may be short of rain users, but which other rain user would you recommend?

Quote from Scramble_ »

I understand that I may be short of rain users, but which other rain user would you recommend?

Maybe a Drizzle politoed

Mine is 

Politoed@Choice scarf (Faster than mega gengar)

Trait: Drizzle

EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed

Nature: Timid (+ Speed / - Attack)

Moves:

-Hypnosis

-Focus Blast

-Ice Beam

-Surf / Hydro pump

I like your Ludicolo, but I feel like instead of Giga Drain, you should go for Grass Knot, since you're not going with a defensive build. Go big or go home! :D

Pokeymanz Y FC: 0533-5474-8240

Friend SafariRock! With Pupitar, Barbaracle, and Dwebble!

Multi-battler and Double Battler.

Message me if you're interested in adding me!

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes