This thread was Locked by Volkner.

Starter Dual types (Psychic/Dark/Fighting)

Poll: Do you think Fennekin is a Fire and Psychic type?

Do you think Fennekin is a Fire and Psychic type? - Single Choice

• Yes 58.6%
  • No 15.7%
  • Not sure... 25.7%

Look closely at these images, taken from the English trailer for X and Y:

Fennekin (Fire/Psychic):
    Image 1
    Image 2

In Image 1, you can see Fennekin starting to use a pink wavey-like move coming straight from its mouth; and Psychic type moves is usually pink or pink-ish colored.
    In Image 2, you can see that pink wavey move being used against Kirlia and the move also damages him or her. Maybe Psywave?
    To find this in the trailer, go here: http://youtu.be/WNr6wQfNfK4?t=48s

Chespin (Grass/Dark):
    Image 3
    Image 4

In Image 3, you see Chespin getting ready to perform a move as the arena darkens.
    In Image 4, you see these purple-ish lines in front of Golurk, which appeared from Chespin. Perhaps Night Slash?
    To find this in the trailer, go here: http://youtu.be/WNr6wQfNfK4?t=40s

Froakie (Water/Fighting):
    Image 5
    Image 6

In Image 5, you see Froakie approaching Patrat, getting ready to attack, which would mean that Froakie can learn Physical attacks.
    In Image 6, you can see Froakie physically attacking Patrat. Maybe this move is Close Combat?
    To find this in the trailer, go here: http://youtu.be/WNr6wQfNfK4?t=56s

So what do you think? Is Fennekin a Fire and Psychic type? Is Chespin a Grass and Dark type? Is Froakie a Water and Fighting type? Or can they just learn the moves while only having their pure types? Discuss.

Last edited by iiWindSlashr: 2/13/2013 8:36:35 AM
    | What Pokémon I am | Anime List | Tumblr |

Credit goes to Sylvia

Can't be sure. If I had to say yes or no, I'd say yes, because the dark/psychic/fighting circle is pretty perfect, and I don't know why they would show the starters using moves that look like these in a trailer if they weren't going to be that type when they evolved. Could still be wrong though, as nothing's been confirmed (still...)

"The battle continues."

To be honest, I'm not really sure either. I can see what you mean, but the possibilities are endless; at least I think so... Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Credit goes to Sylvia

I really hope so. Or at least any kind of type pairing except for Fire/Fighting. I think the entire Pokemon fanbase is on its hands and knees begging that we don't get another Fire/Fighting starter.

-

I bloody hope so! As Shhmew said, that circle would work perfectly, giving each starter a secondary advantage over its weakness. I think Gamefreak experimented with the idea with the Gen IV starters, but it didn't work perfectly. It was good, but not spot on.

If you're unsure about what I mean; Torterra's secondary Ground typing gave it access to moves that were super-effective against Infernape. Infernape's Fighting type gave it a direct advantage to Empoleon's Steel typing, while Torterra's Ground type took away its initial resistances to water, while adding and extra weakness to Ice type moves, of which, Empoleon could learn a fair few.

I think the biggest problem with that trio was how in 2 cases, the secondary typing took away their primary advantage over the other, Ground and Steel for Torterra and Empoleon, respectively. So, I think the Psychic/Dark/Fighting will work, as long as Fennekin isn't Fire/Fighting. 

Sorry about the essay!

Last edited by Si421: 2/7/2013 9:29:46 AM
    <pre>PM Me for Black 2, Wii U, 3DS and Monster Hunter codes!</pre>

Quote from Si421 »

I bloody hope so! As Shhmew said, that circle would work perfectly, giving each starter a secondary advantage over its weakness. I think Gamefreak experimented with the idea with the Gen IV starters, but it didn't work perfectly. It was good, but not spot on.

If you're unsure about what I mean; Torterra's secondary Ground typing gave it access to moves that were super-effective against Infernape. Infernape's Fighting type gave it a direct advantage to Empoleon's Steel typing, while Torterra's Ground type took away its initial resistances to water, while adding and extra weakness to Ice type moves, of which, Empoleon could learn a fair few.

I think the biggest problem with that trio was how in 2 cases, the secondary typing took away their primary advantage over the other, Ground and Steel for Torterra and Empoleon, respectively. So, I think the Psychic/Dark/Fighting will work, as long as Fennekin isn't Fire/Fighting. 

Sorry about the essay!

I see what you mean.

Lets say Fennekin does turn out to be a Fire and Psychic type. Would that make Froakie a Water and Fighting type, along with Chespin a Grass and Dark type? I don't think we have enough Grass and Dark types, you know, Cacturn and Shiftry.

Credit goes to Sylvia

Like I said, in order to give each starter an advantage over its weakness, then yeah, Chespin would need to Grass/Dark and Froakie Water/Fighting.

No we don't. And unfortunately, both of those were rather average, at best. Although Shiftry's Special Attack wasn't too bad.

Quote from Si421 »

Like I said, in order to give each starter an advantage over its weakness, then yeah, Chespin would need to Grass/Dark and Froakie Water/Fighting.

No we don't. And unfortunately, both of those were rather average, at best. Although Shiftry's Special Attack wasn't too bad.

You're right. Thanks for the idea of Chespin as a Grass/Dark and Froakie as a Water/Fighting. I edited the first post to show some evidence.

Credit goes to Sylvia

Quote from iiWindSlashr »

Quote from Si421 »

You're right. Thanks for the idea of Chespin as a Grass/Dark and Froakie as a Water/Fighting. I edited the first post to show some evidence.

You're quite welcome, but I cant take total credit. Over on Pokememes and ONM, there are huge discussions about typing. But Fennekin is the hot topic (no pun intended), because everyone is dreading another Fire/Fighting combo, and praying for Fire/Psychic.

Quote from Si421 »

You're quite welcome, but I cant take total credit. Over on Pokememes and ONM, there are huge discussions about typing. But Fennekin is the hot topic (no pun intended), because everyone is dreading another Fire/Fighting combo, and praying for Fire/Psychic.

I understand. Well, I didn't get the idea from them (mainly because I've never heard of them before until you mentioned it), I only got it from noticing the moves by taking a closer look at the trailer. That's all.
    I am getting quite tired of Fire/Fighting, so I'm hoping for a nice change. :)

Credit goes to Sylvia

Quote from Si421 »

I understand. Well, I didn't get the idea from them (mainly because I've never heard of them before until you mentioned it), I only got it from noticing the moves by taking a closer look at the trailer. That's all.
    I am getting quite tired of Fire/Fighting, so I'm hoping for a nice change. :)

I think we all are. I was quite excited about the Gen V starters, thinking they'd all be pure Fire, Grass and Water. But Pignite and Emboar had to ruin it... There's no need for them to have Fighting!

Quote from Si421 »

I think we all are. I was quite excited about the Gen V starters, thinking they'd all be pure Fire, Grass and Water. But Pignite and Emboar had to ruin it... There's no need for them to have Fighting!

You're right, there is no need since there are plenty of Fighting types in Gen V alone.

This is starting to turn into some type of chat topic, so lets try to stay on topic, shall we? :)

Credit goes to Sylvia

Watch us be right about the secondary triangle (Fighting/Dark/Physic) but be wrong about which Starter gets it. I will not get Fennekin if he becomes fire/fighting, yet that seems to be the thing for fire starters to do.

Woobat is a bro.

Quote from FutureGypsy »

Watch us be right about the secondary triangle (Fighting/Dark/Physic) but be wrong about which Starter gets it. I will not get Fennekin if he becomes fire/fighting, yet that seems to be the thing for fire starters to do.

Even if Fennekin becomes a Fighting type, I'd still use it because to me, it seems like the Fire starters are always a big help towards the main story, and I don't want to be struggling if I ever become stuck at a certain part.

Credit goes to Sylvia

I think so because if you see the trailer that move is either a rip off of focus blast or a psychic type move. However, if Fenniken becomes psychic/fire type it is the second one. Victini was the first. But I have 3 friends and I decided Fenniken. But I think I'm the only one who likes fire/psychic types still and Victini was awesome, so either way Fenniken SHOULD be a fire/psychic type (sorry for getting off topic)

Quote from AwesomeZekrom65 »

I think so because if you see the trailer that move is either a rip off of focus blast or a psychic type move. However, if Fenniken becomes psychic/fire type it is the second one. Victini was the first. But I have 3 friends and I decided Fenniken. But I think I'm the only one who likes fire/psychic types still and Victini was awesome, so either way Fenniken SHOULD be a fire/psychic type (sorry for getting off topic)

Maybe Fennekin evolves into Victini (kidding). But yeah, I'd love to see Fennekin as a Fire/Psychic type. If not, oh well.

Credit goes to Sylvia

Maybe Fennekin evolves into Victini (kidding). But yeah, I'd love to see Fennekin as a Fire/Psychic type. If not, oh well.

That'd be hilarious. Weird, but hilarious. If Kennekin becomes Fire/Fighitng, Game Freak would just be trolling us all. Especially since in the trailer, it looks like it uses a low-powered pyschic move. Possibly Psywave...

Quote from Si421 »

That'd be hilarious. Weird, but hilarious. If Kennekin becomes Fire/Fighitng, Game Freak would just be trolling us all. Especially since in the trailer, it looks like it uses a low-powered pyschic move. Possibly Psywave...

I know right? You're right, they would. And yeah, that is the same exact guess I had about that move.

Credit goes to Sylvia

Maybe there COULD be a change. You know how Flareon needs a fire stone to be it? Well, maybe Fenniken has two evolutions like Kirlia. Kirlia had Gardenvoir and Gallade. Maybe Fenniken has a Fire-Fighting evolution you get with a Fire Stone, while its main evolution is a Fire-Psychic type.

Black 2 code:459972827520

Maybe there COULD be a change. You know how Flareon needs a fire stone to be it? Well, maybe Fenniken has two evolutions like Kirlia. Kirlia had Gardenvoir and Gallade. Maybe Fenniken has a Fire-Fighting evolution you get with a Fire Stone, while its main evolution is a Fire-Psychic type.

While that's a clever idea, I highly doubt they'd ever do that for a starter Pokemon. At least, not any time soon. Plus, everyone's fed up of Fire/Fighting. So, Fire/Psychic would almost definitely win in terms of popularity, and the secondary bonus it'd have over its counterpart.

It's hugely impractical, and extremely unlikely to happen this time, but I wouldn't rule out the idea for the future... It could bring some interesting changes.

Last edited by Si421: 2/8/2013 8:17:35 AM
  • To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes