This thread was Locked by Whiteace.

The Berry Farm

Because I've not see it yet, I've decided to go ahead and start a Berry Farm thread to discuss all aspects of the Berry Farm and to act as a quick reference guide for Mutations and Encounters. Please, if you have any Additional Information you do no see here, Feel free to add it.

First off, a quick Q&A and some Tips:

What is the Berry Farm?: The Berry Farm is a new Area in Pokemon X and Y where you can grow your own Berries, essentially replacing the Berry Patches in previous generations.

Where is the Berry Farm?: The Berry Farm can be found on route 7, directly East of Camphrier Town; just head towards the Pokemon Daycare  and take the South road before crossing the bridge.

Tips:

• Check your farm often, the longer they sit dry, unweeded, or infested, the less their yield will be. Once every few hours should be enough
    • Have a dedicated Row for Mulch. A good choice are Oran, Pecha, Qualot Berries, as they are some of the first you will get, and have higher yields even when "damaged". A Single row with 2 trees each, assuming each tree yields at least 8 berries, will provide more than enough Mulch for your Farm.
    • When Watering Berries, if you hold the directional pad, you will water a whole row in one action, instead of having to select each patch.

How to use the Farm

Using the Berry Farm is a simple matter for the most part and breaks down into 5 easy sets.

1). Select and Mulch your Patch! There are 2 columns of 3 rows, with each row containing 6 patches, or a total of 36 Berry Trees possible at one time! There are also 3 Mulches available to use. You can make Mulch by using the Composter neat the North-West and South-East side of the Farm. More detail on these in the Mulch Section.

2). Plant your Berries! While this is pretty straightforward for the most part, Gen VI introduces a interesting new aspect to Berry growing; Cross-Breeding! or other wise know as Spontaneous Mutation! In essence, what this means is that when certain Berries are planted next to each other, there is a chance for 1 or more of those berries to mutate into a entirely different berry! More on this in the Cross Breading Section.

3). Tend to your Berries! Now that you've mulched your patch and planted your berries, it's time to get them growin, The First step will be to water your plants. You'll get a Watering can when you first enter the Farm, There is no need to fill it, just walk next to a planted berry and select it. By holding the directional pad in one direction, you can water a whole row in one action, saving you the trouble of selecting every berry. Next, it's a waiting game. After a few hours, 1 of 3 events will occur per berry plant

• Weeds will Grow, this is the most common, and each plant will have to be hand weeded. It can be identified by the green grass growing in the patch.
    • Bug-Type Infestation, this is more rare. It can be identified by a Shaking tree. When selected, a battle will start. You are free to Fight, Run, or Capture, the method of ridding the Infestation does not matter.
    • The patch will dry out. This is even rarer. While each patch will eventually dry out itself, each has a small chance of drying out quickly. Berry growth will not progress will these plants are watered again.

4). Play the Waiting Game! After tending, it's just a matter of waiting for the Berries to grow to maturity. Make sure you repeat Step 3 every few hours.

5). Harvest Time! Now that your Berries have reach maturity, it is time to reap what you've sown! Properly tended trees will yield 8-12 berries each (needs confirmation). Simply walk up to a berry bearing tree and select it to collect your berries and reset the patch. Once all your patches are harvested, take your Mulch Berries to the composter and start from step 1.

MULCH

There are currently 3 Mulches available from the Composter, each with their own effect and requirements;

UPDATE: So it seems that the below rules are not 100% correct, and there seems to be some hidden values to the Berries themselves. However, for the most part it seems these rules work. If all else fails, the combinations of the three listed berries do work for their respective Mulches. Anyone with info on what these "Mulch Values" might be are free to post them in the comments.

• Surprise Mulch: The Easiest Mulch to make. This Mulch will drastically increase the chance of a Mutation in your berry trees (% unknown) but only if the combination is correct. Made by placing 3 of the same berries in the composter. (I.E 3 Oran)
    • Boost Mulch: Similar to the Growth Mulch in Gen IV, the Boost Mulch will Decrease the time it takes for a Berry Tree to grow (% unknown) and increases yield, but increases the chance of your Patch drying out. Takes 2 of the same berry type a 1 of another type to make. (I.E, 2 Oran, 1 Pecha)
    • Rich Mulch:  The "best" Mulch, and hardest to make, Rich mulch decreases the chance of any negative effects from occurring, while increasing your yield (% unknown). It takes 3 berries, each one a different type to make. (I.E 1 Oran, 1 Pecha, 1 Qualot)

Berry Mutations:

Below is List of all Know Berry Mutations. If you know of a Mutation, and it's not on this list, feel free to post it in the Comments and I'll add it right away.

1). Oran + Peacha = Qualot

2). Iapapa + Mago = Pomeg (credit to jay21310)

3). Aspear + Leppa = Hondew (credit to jay21310)

4). Chesto + Persim = Kelpsy (credit to jay21310)

Bug-Type Pokemon

Below is a List of all Bug-Types you can encounter at the Farm. If you know of a Pokemon not on this list, feel free to post it in the Comments and I'll add it right away.

1). Volbeat, lvl 15, Common, X/Y (credit to ThorakTaratheon)

2). Illumise, lvl 15, Common, X

3). Ledyba, lvl 15 (credit to Tecumseh)

4). Combee, lvl 15, Y, Common (credit to jay21310, ThorakTaratheon)

5). Spewpa, lvl 15, X/Y, Common (credit to Sjaar, ThorakTaratheon)

Last edited by Torigoma: 10/17/2013 12:24:55 AM

Iapapa + Mago = Pomeg

Aspear + Leppa = Hondew

Chesto + Persim = Kelpsy

You can run into combee and spewpa in the berry bushes as well

White playthrough team above from left to right.
    Atlantis (Lv. 48), Maricha (Lv. 47), Suraisu (Lv. 47), Hono Buta (Lv. 47), Thor (Lv. 48).
    Trainer: Mr. Mag, Time: 35:10, Badges: 8

Thanks! Mutations added. Do you have levels for combee and spewpa? How often have you encountered them? What Version?

Last edited by Torigoma: 10/15/2013 10:10:58 PM

I've found a few Spewpa in my farm, didn't take note of the levels though. (X)

I just caught a lvl. 15 ledyba at the farm. It was at the only Cheri berry tree that I have. Is it possible that different types of berry trees bring different Pokemon?

3DS Info

Friend Code: 3668-7796-2400

Mii Name: Tecumseh

Pokemon Y Info

IGN: Andrew 

Friend Safari: Rock type Boldore, Onix, Barbaracle.

Black 2 Friend Code: 2280-6097-9437

Thanks for the info! guide updated

I've seen Combee, Volbeat, and Spewpa on multiple occassions when encountering bugs in the trees, all level 15. Using Pokemon Y.

Also, your formulae are not entirely correct. I don't beleive its based solely on 3 of a kind / 2+1, or 1+1+1. There is definitely some other factors involved.

2 Persim and 1 Mago : Surprise Mulch.
    2 Iapapa and 1 Aspear: Surprise Mulch.
    3 Mago : Surprise Mulch

There's definitely some variation.

Thanks for this, very well put together. I'll post some more when I find any new information :)

Black 2 Friend-code- 0348 1061 7948

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X mainly)- 4141-2787-5429 

The one and only mulch I'm using: 
    Oran+Pecha:  Boost Mulch
    Definitely speeds things up! Doesn't matter if it's two Oran to a Pecha or One Pecha to two Oran. 

Gah, and just saw it was already posted in the main body (I skipped right towards the berry listings).  Ah, well.  If I come across anything new I'll just edit this post!  Nice to have a dedicated thread for berry harvesting. 

Interesting Factoid:  If you mulch (and forgot to pick up that starter berry back in town, for example), you can leave the berry farm and come back and the mulch will still be there -- ready for you to plant that berry.  No idea how long this lasts but I thought it was kind of interesting....

EDIT:  Sitrus + Lum = Tomato, Pomeg + Kasib = Petaya

Last edited by Vestara: 10/25/2013 7:20:00 PM

FC: 2191-7903-0015

IGN:  X: Teneniel / Y: Vestara

Bug Safari:  Paras, Illumise, Pinsir

Quote from ThorakTaratheon »

Also, your formulae are not entirely correct. I don't beleive its based solely on 3 of a kind / 2+1, or 1+1+1. There is definitely some other factors involved.

Hummm, Interesting, I've done some Mulching to Confirm this and it does indeed seem like there is some kinda hidden variable to the Berries themselves. Thanks. However the much Recipes (the exampled berries) in the guide itself are accurate, so I'm going to stick with that till more information simply not to confuse people with a bunch of Mulch recipes when there are only 3 Mulches to be had.

If you'd like to do some experimenting and see if you can find some kinds of solid "Rule" that applies to the Mulch, I'll be gald to add it, thanks for the info!

Last edited by Torigoma: 10/17/2013 12:36:39 AM

Quote from Torigoma »

Quote from ThorakTaratheon »

Hummm, Interesting, I've done some Mulching to Confirm this and it does indeed seem like there is some kinda hidden variable to the Berries themselves. Thanks. However the much Recipes (the exampled berries) in the guide itself are accurate, so I'm going to stick with that till more information simply not to confuse people with a bunch of Mulch recipes when there are only 3 Mulches to be had.

If you'd like to do some experimenting and see if you can find some kinds of solid "Rule" that applies to the Mulch, I'll be gald to add it, thanks for the info!

Just registered to say that the girl in the house near the farm says that the mulch depends on the color of the berries used. I assume there are 5 colors depending on the primary flavor (Red,Pink,Blue,Yellow,Green) 

2 Persim (Pink) and 1 Mago (Pink) : Surprise Mulch.
    2 Iapapa (Yellow) and 1 Aspear (Yellow): Surprise Mulch.
    3 Mago (Pink) : Surprise Mulch

This is my theory, havent tested it because I dont have enough berries.

Quote from Leafreo »

Just registered to say that the girl in the house near the farm says that the mulch depends on the color of the berries used. I assume there are 5 colors depending on the primary flavor (Red,Pink,Blue,Yellow,Green) 

2 Persim (Pink) and 1 Mago (Pink) : Surprise Mulch.
    2 Iapapa (Yellow) and 1 Aspear (Yellow): Surprise Mulch.
    3 Mago (Pink) : Surprise Mulch

This is my theory, havent tested it because I dont have enough berries.

AHHHH! Did not see that some how, good catch! Hummm, Interesting. Assuming your are right and the "colors" refer to the primary flavors and not actual sprite colors (which I hope, as may of the sprite colors are pretty vague), that leads to some pretty interesting combinations. I'll be doing some experimenting myself, but if anyone figures out what colors make what mulches, feel free to list them and I'll get a List up and running.

I still think your formula is right:

• 3 of the same color = surprise
    • 2 of the same color + 1 of different color = boost
    • All different in color = rich

serebii lists more mulches but I havent gotten any apart from the 3 mentioned here. Ill start to hoard berries and start a trial and error to check in what color corresponds each berry

Last edited by Leafreo: 10/17/2013 2:43:19 AM

Hummm, that would make alot of sens, and it's a pretty simple method too code as well, I'll do some testing with it.

As for serebii, unless they've figured out something we do not know, they are still using the Gen IV mulches, the little girl at the farm says there are only 3 Effects. Not to say there might not be more, but so far that is the only number we can positively identify, and chances are, those are all there is.

Feel free to post the results of your Tests, more information is always helpful, and hey, ya never know, there might be more to it than first meets the eye.

Last edited by Torigoma: 10/17/2013 3:08:47 AM

Great guides, thanks for the info :) Free bump!

This is a great guide and I think you guys are onto something with the color of the berries making the mulch

Burma (the normal kind) appeared on a tree I was weeding. But given that it was 1 Burma to 4+ Combees in one harvest, I'm guessing the encounter rate isn't that high.

I also had 3 Combees appear in the same row (same berry).

Can you also post where to get free berries daily? I know there are a few locations, I can't remember where though

Some Confirmation on the Mulching. It is the color theory. Just tested it out.

Last edited by Garchomp: 10/17/2013 9:39:36 PM

I'm a Garchomp. Are you? Sprite credit to Vee2. Banner to SlipperyBuizel Extended Signature

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes