Shiny Pokemon with Fishing Chains

So, I recently saw a video that explained to me how to greatly increase my rate of catching shiny Pokemon using a Fishing Rod.

In the video it said there is a man on route 16 who challenges you to beat his fishing record chain of 7 if you do this the man says "Word is you can catch rare Pokemon through consecutive fishing". 

Now let me explain, I myself have tested this theory out and after about 30 chains (reeling in a Pokemon consecutively without missing the bite) you will usually encounter a shiny Pokemon. I would suggest catching an Inkay with the suction cup ability to increase the rate of hooking a Pokemon.

My average was out of five shiny catches about 1 in 41.3 but that was because I had one that took me 70 chains to catch.

As we cant prove anything without looking at the coding I cant prove it but I believe there is some substantial evidence supporting this. 

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDQ-3WJrUws

It would be great if more people could help test this, and of course do you think this could also be related to giving tips in game to the NPCs that ask for them? Or do you think this is just a bunch of crap?

EDIT: I do not take credit for the discovery of this topic, I am just spreading the info!

Last edited by Thorognah: 10/21/2013 11:16:04 PM

Friend Code: 5129-1928-8699 Add me and PM me your Friend Code with Safari Pokemon. IGN: Zephyr

---Friend Safari---

ButterfreeBeautiflyPinsir

I tried this out and found a shiny relicanth in a chain of 33. Since I never found any shiny pokemon through RE (just that unlucky) i'm pretty sure this method increases chances of finding a shiny

Edit: It was also my first time trying fish chaining

Update: I paused my game for sometime, when I came back I continued my chain and shortly after found another shiny relicanth (really hoping for a shiny clawitzer now)

Last edited by TheDunsparceKing: 10/22/2013 2:31:04 PM

FC: 2921-9112-0749 (currently full)

This is indeed true.

Using facts in a forum debate is just as OP as a Smeargle with Lock On and Sheer Cold. 

Friend Safari Pokemon: Fighting; MedititeSawk, ???

Does the chain break if you start with, let say Relicanth, and after 15 Relicanth you find a Seadra?

Pokemon Y FC: 3368-2072-7301 (ign 3enjamin)
    Wins: 9 Losses: 11 Draws: 0

My Non-Shiny Shop.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjOg6-BZK8HXdFZjcmlmajhiQl8wQkdtM29Nei1sY0E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

No the chain only breaks if you: 

A) Move from the spot, B) Reel in a pokemon too late or too early, allowing it to escape, C) If you do not get a nibble at all.

The third condition would be by far the most common reason why a chain would be broken, and you can combat against that by I believe having a pokemon with the Suction Cups ability first in your party. 

Using facts in a forum debate is just as OP as a Smeargle with Lock On and Sheer Cold. 

Just got a shiny Poliwhirl! Took me about 50 RE's and this was my third shiny in X and Y.

3DS FC: 0173-2050-1390 - FS: Steel with Magneton, Excadrill and Klang.

Congrats! Wishing you luck with more fishing! If you snag a shiny Feebas I call dibs! =3

i got shiny qwilfish on the first try just was random i dont like to fish but cool to know that trick

FC: 3883-4715-7256
                                          Ice Type: snover, bergmite, cloyster
                                        looking for shiny jpn imposter ditto atm

Update chained a shiny Clauncher and a shiny Staryu took some time (100+ RE's) but was worth it :)

FC: 2921-9112-0749 (currently full)

Does it matter if you run from the battle, or if the battle takes long? I have to switch out Inkay with a faster Pokemon every try so I can escape.

Do you have to talk to that fisherman on Route 16 about a fishing chaining challenge 1st before this can work?

Last edited by 3en: 10/22/2013 9:06:58 PM

My Non-Shiny Shop.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjOg6-BZK8HXdFZjcmlmajhiQl8wQkdtM29Nei1sY0E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

yeah 107 fishing consecutive for 0 shinys >.<

Quote from 3en »

Does it matter if you run from the battle, or if the battle takes long? I have to switch out Inkay with a faster Pokemon every try so I can escape.

Do you have to talk to that fisherman on Route 16 about a fishing chaining challenge 1st before this can work?

the pokemon whit the ability in this case inkay have to be first on the party i can be dead too i have inkay lvl 15 and its dead always i let them kill it because they dont let me run from the battle

Last edited by chrisboy25: 10/22/2013 9:29:31 PM

It works. Shiny Horse on the 19th Chain.

My Non-Shiny Shop.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjOg6-BZK8HXdFZjcmlmajhiQl8wQkdtM29Nei1sY0E&amp;usp=drive_web#gid=0

Quote from 3en »

It works. Shiny Horse on the 19th Chain.

congratz, i still get 0 xD

I did 50+ Chains in other areas as well. But then I tried the spot at the bottom of the cliff in Ambrette Town, I got one on my 19th reel. A lot of people are having success from the Exact Spot the Youtube Video shows. The Video is in the 1st post of this topic.

My Non-Shiny Shop.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjOg6-BZK8HXdFZjcmlmajhiQl8wQkdtM29Nei1sY0E&amp;usp=drive_web#gid=0

You cant move from your fishing spot either. That breaks the chain.

2nd Shiny Horsea. 100th try :)

So, it only seemed to work in that one spot in Ambrette Town. 2 Shiny Horsea's and a Shiny Skrelp. Second Shiny Horsea's IV's added up to 121 as well. Total of 151 Chains for all 3.

Last edited by 3en: 10/23/2013 2:32:24 AM

My Non-Shiny Shop.

Nice, I've been hunting shiny Pokemon using the Poke Radar, which is a pain, especially because if you accidentally put your skates back on the chain resets and it's just more chance/luck based. I've had no success with the Radar so far

Last edited by BuJiAiyoku: 10/23/2013 2:38:59 AM

FC: 2938-7081-7206 Pokemon X

If you run away, does that break the chain?

Quote from Mathew_1 »

If you run away, does that break the chain?

Fishing wise, no. I've ran away from all battles. You need an Inkay with Suction Cups (It CAN be Fainted) in your Front Spot (Your Battling Spot), and nothing going on for the next few hours. You also need to be by a rock.

As for Poke Radar. I haven't gotten it yet.

My Non-Shiny Shop.

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes