This thread was Locked by Volkner.

Mega Charizard Y vs Mega Charizard X

Y,X looks awesome but Y has a more dependable ability

Another good thing about charizard Y is you can deal alot of damage to almost any type because of the drought ability. charizard can learn solar beam and that would help with water gound ect. and if you boost its speed it would prety much be unstopable!!!

Quote from Nickmare »

Quote from Misha880

If you counted you would see that Charizard Y resists more types not including his immunity. Say all 3 entry hazards are on the field. Y takes 4x 0x and no poison while X takes 2x 2x and poison. You also fail to consider how rare rock type moves actually are. People always manage to find a better coverage move such as earthquake. Also I noiced you never included fairy in your "spoiler" so maybe that is where your calculations went a bit off. Just an fyi, people don't wait to set up stealth rock until after Charizard is out and if you put him in as the first pokemon then you are misusing him and if you do it just to mega evolve then you are wasting a valuble turn. The last part goes for both of them unless Y is gonna set up sun. It could still work in a drought team but I fail to see how weather teams are going to be as effective this generation.

Rock moves don't seem that rare this gen. A lot of megas use it for coverage - even when they aren't being played as megas.

Also, ya, I did forget fairy - which is x1 on X & x0.5 on Y.

Weather teams still seem to be popular according to smogon. Charizard Y shouldn't ever be the pokemon to set up sun, however. Although we might see him more considering Defog.

Quote from Blastoise

I would also like to add to this that Charizard Y has ludicrous base Speed stat. He hits 88 MPH, and Special Sweeps teams. Charizard X is meant to take advantage of Dragon Dance and his incredible toughness, but Charizard Y just sweeps through the competition like its nobody's business, even more so since mine is Timid, almost nothing outspeeds it.

Both have the same base speed, and it's actually the same as a normal charizards speed. >.>

actually, charizard x really has 80 speed, while charizard y has 100, and adding in that charizard already has dragon type moves, changing it to fire-dragon for charizard x is really useless. and, charizard y wins hands down. want a black charizard so bad? freaking get shiny charizard y? "WAA!!! can't get it! it's too rare, dumbo!" THEN CHEAT, STUPID!!!!! I DON'T CARE IF U DON'T CHEAT, if u dreally, don't then just keep trying. perseverance, peaple! :D

Quote from Ediarai

actually, charizard x really has 80 speed, while charizard y has 100, and adding in that charizard already has dragon type moves, changing it to fire-dragon for charizard x is really useless. and, charizard y wins hands down. want a black charizard so bad? freaking get shiny charizard y? "WAA!!! can't get it! it's too rare, dumbo!" THEN CHEAT, STUPID!!!!! I DON'T CARE IF U DON'T CHEAT, if u dreally, don't then just keep trying. perseverance, peaple! :D

Nothing in that post is right..

Charizard X has a base speed of 100.
    Charizard X doesn't want dragon moves because a normal charizard can not get them, it wants them for S.T.A.B.
    This isn't a discussion about it simply being a better shiny color either. It's a discussion about usefulness.

FC: 4897~7040~0177

Charizard Y:

Heat Wave 95 power +stab+drought 

Solar Beam 120 power +drought for one turn hits

Air slash 75 power and only 5 less accuracy than aerial ace

Dragon pulse 100 power

Charizard Y with coverage against:

Fighting, Ground, Bug , Steel, Water, Grass, Electric, and Ice.

and having resistance to:

Grass, Fire, Steel, Bug, Fighting, and an immunity to ground.

Pretty much efficient and deadly.

Last edited by Thorognah: 11/20/2013 10:06:49 PM

Friend Code: 5129-1928-8699 Add me and PM me your Friend Code with Safari Pokemon. IGN: Zephyr

---Friend Safari---

ButterfreeBeautiflyPinsir

Quote from Zoram »

X is safer and more versitile. He is good to round out a team. Charizard Y is more strict. You'll probably want him to lead to avoid rocks unless you have a spinner. ALthough drought was nerfed his sp atk, STAB and drought make fire moves hit hard, and he can learn solar beam which says nope to any rock, ground or water types that might come out to counter him. However he IS riskier, but he is overall stronger than charizard X offensively.

x is not really safer he gains more weakness 3 dragon fairy and ground plus stealth rock still a cripples him he now take damage from spikes plus he will knock himself out with flareblitz im not saying he is bad but i think y is better x looks cooler unless you get a shiny like mine which makes y look better and makes x look like a wanna be salamance lol

I personally use Charizard Y, I've always used Charizard since Red and Blue version.  Y feels more traditional in feeling only Mega Evolution boosts Charizard's  fire power sky high.  This is my current build for Charizard.

Timid/Blaze

Flamethrower/Solar Beam Dragon Pulse/Roost

Honestly I really don't have a problem battling anything, I've shifted into Y and blasted Protean Greninja, I've Solar beamed a Tyranitar while wiping the standstorm, I've roosted a sucker punch Mawile, Dragon Pulsed several Charizard X's.  I do have a slight weakness to Mega Blaziken but they usually stay away for fear of air slash.  Roost fixes the stealth rock problem and nothing ever last long against charizard Y anyways, oh and it beats Mega Gengar as well I'd be afraid of Mega Gyradaos but sunny day active I'd place my money on 1/2 water damage and charizards speed to give it the W

Last edited by shruikhan: 11/20/2013 11:20:07 PM

Why would anyone want to send out hazard setter against charizard y?

Unless Charizard Y is the defogger, which is ironic because it lost 50% health when it switch in to clear hazard.

I prefer Y because of its fearsome sp.atk which deals allot even when resisted, and it has coverage against those that is immune to fire.

If Charizard X is a permanent evolution like Poliwhirl -> Politoad/Poliwrath, I'll like it better.

With immunity to its dragon moves, shared weakness before mega and lost one immunity after mega, it doesn't appeal as much to me.

The chances you can sweep is lesser than y, in my view.

Last edited by SirSalute: 11/21/2013 6:43:27 AM

Yipiyayo 2122 - 6682 - 9205

Playing pkmn Y

Rock Type Safari (Egg warmer)  ,Boldore and Barbaracle

You can also take into consideration that MZardX weight is higher because of his big belly and his huge thighs (Just saying he is FAT! Venusaur <<<). Also In a Battle versus Each Other, Thanks to both of them (If your not messed up in the head) have A Dragon move, MZardY Can chop off MzardX's head and eat it for brunch! 

ATTACHMENTS
    • Mega_Charizard-X-and-Y
    Last edited by Pokefreak1022: 11/21/2013 9:21:21 AM

SAMUROTT ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X is undoubtedly the cooler of the two, but Y's better for stats and competitive play.

3DS FC: 1005-9812-6287. FS = ICE: Cloyster, Spheal, Bergmite.

Shinies: Liepard, Pikachu! Eevee! Hypno.

I have both stones and tested them out on charizards with the appropriate moves (IMO) and charizard x is a speedy denfender and Y is a speedy attacker(same nature(i think it was timid)). But it all depends on what Ev is maxed and what has a better moveset. My charizard X did kill the mega gardevoir and just the say if charizard is black is kinda dumb, then make a charizard y an awesome [different] color or make the mega charizard x red. charizard x is teal when it's shiny and shiny chari y is same as charizard's shiny (no mega) My charizard level 100 and it still kills everything in both mega forms.  (Bad English due to language) Only. In. My. OpinionLove that blue fire , Looks like zekrom actually(hint look at the "horns")I like them wings

ME Char Y is awesome but won't outsped much threats without timid. It is an awesome sweeper, Drought gives him the ability to carry Solar Beam, with Flamethrower and Air Slash for STABs, and then thee final one is Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast for an awesome coverage. ME char Y is better than X

UNLESS

If you are good breeder and was able to attach Dragon Dance on your Charmander (thus a charizard and this a ME char X) and Outrage or Dragon Rush (or stick with Dragon Claw)and not to mention his capability to carry Overheat (Overheat and then 3 physical move) and not to mention Power Up Punch and maybe even Flame Charge 

Overheat / Outrage or Dragon Claw / Flame Charge / Brick Break or Power Up Punch or Rock Slide or Earthquake 

Flare Blitz / Dragon Dance / Outrage or Dragon Claw / Rock Slide or EQ or Brick break 

those sets allow ME char X to be better than ME char Y

~ Anime Club V2 ~ | Professional2341 on Smogon :]

^ Reference from One Piece manga :]

Quote from daguy122 »

Dude, first of all, Mega Charizard Y has high Sp. Attack. Sure it weak to rock types. But, it has the drought ability. You know what that means? Fireblast= Always hits and Solarbeam= No need to charge AAAANNNDD weakened water type moves and more powerfuller Fire type moves. Plus STAB. EV train it and it will be one of the most powerful pokemon. Seriously though, I don't really get why people like Mega Charizard X so much. Sure, its good looking, and is a pretty nice sweeper, but I think Mega Charizard Y is better. I mean like, it'll have to take a tutor to teach it a really powerful dragon type move, like maybe outrage, and momentarily it's gotta be stuck with dragon claw. And sure, it has flare blitz, which does alot, but its base attack is 130. And Mega Charizard Y's base Sp. Attack is 159. So yeah basically.

AHEM. Depends on faster Pokemon. If Charizard X is faster in a battle, Charizard Y will be ****ED. Rock slide and boom, your charizard's dead.

*Dbzeenx is my alternate username.

Quote from SirSalute »

Why would anyone want to send out hazard setter against charizard y?

Unless Charizard Y is the defogger, which is ironic because it lost 50% health when it switch in to clear hazard.

I prefer Y because of its fearsome sp.atk which deals allot even when resisted, and it has coverage against those that is immune to fire.

If Charizard X is a permanent evolution like Poliwhirl -> Politoad/Poliwrath, I'll like it better.

With immunity to its dragon moves, shared weakness before mega and lost one immunity after mega, it doesn't appeal as much to me.

The chances you can sweep is lesser than y, in my view.

Mega evolutions have the highest priority in battle, so just when the battle starts you can mega-evolve it into Mega Charizard X or Y... And also, Don't forget tough claws,  it increases 1,33 times every physical move, including not just fire type moves. And charizard y has that annoying 4x weakness to rock... Also drought only lasts 5 turns. LOL. I think you preffer X now.

wasn't explained by

Mega evolutions have the highest priority in battle

The 4x weak to rock is the same to X, the only thing it differs is during battle which it lost one immunity and drop the x4 rock weakness to x2. 

2x weak or 4x weak is still as annoying.

That doesn't appeal to me. 

Don't forget tough claws,  it increases 1,33 times every physical move, including not just fire type moves.

Let's take a look into the possible moves that take advantage of it.

Flare Blitz -> Higher recoil

Wing Attack, Aerial Ace, Slash, Fire Fang, Return, Brick Break, Facade, Steel Wing, Fly -> All very weak

Shadow Claw, Dragon Tail, Rock Slide -> Strong when super effective

Dragon Claw -> the only move seemingly strong because of Stab and Tough claws. This is the reason which I mention opponent gains immunity.

So from the above moves, you're don't get to sweep unless you dragon dance, in which the amount of skills that benefits from ability is the same as Y.

But don't forget that Sunlight not just benefit Y, in terms of power and weakens water, it also allows other pokes to benefit if it is somehow knockout.

I can't say the same to X, since if it was revenge kill, you lost your big advantage.

LOL. I think you preffer X now.

I beg to differ. I think I prefer Y even more now. Thanks for reinforcing the idea =)

Playing pkmn Y

Quote from SirSalute »

wasn't explained by

Mega evolutions have the highest priority in battle

The 4x weak to rock is the same to X, the only thing it differs is during battle which it lost one immunity and drop the x4 rock weakness to x2. 

2x weak or 4x weak is still as annoying.

That doesn't appeal to me. 

Don't forget tough claws,  it increases 1,33 times every physical move, including not just fire type moves.

Let's take a look into the possible moves that take advantage of it.

Flare Blitz -> Higher recoil

Wing Attack, Aerial Ace, Slash, Fire Fang, Return, Brick Break, Facade, Steel Wing, Fly -> All very weak

Shadow Claw, Dragon Tail, Rock Slide -> Strong when super effective

Dragon Claw -> the only move seemingly strong because of Stab and Tough claws. This is the reason which I mention opponent gains immunity.

So from the above moves, you're don't get to sweep unless you dragon dance, in which the amount of skills that benefits from ability is the same as Y.

But don't forget that Sunlight not just benefit Y, in terms of power and weakens water, it also allows other pokes to benefit if it is somehow knockout.

I can't say the same to X, since if it was revenge kill, you lost your big advantage.

LOL. I think you preffer X now.

I beg to differ. I think I prefer Y even more now. Thanks for reinforcing the idea =)

Let's be realistic here, Charizard's speed isn't that good. ---> Any rock physical on Charizard Y ---> It's ****ed

While Charizard X will resist powerful Physical moves. And no, flare blitz's recoil won't go higher, the damage will be greater. So that means it will be more effective.  Also, Mega Charizard X's Special Attack does also INCREASE, so it can be a special attacker too. Charizard Y's attack doesn't increase, but its Sp. Attack increases a lot, while Charizard X's Attack and Sp. Attack increase, but not as much as Charizard Y's Sp. Attack. Now, let's look at your "weak" moves:

-Flare Blitz: More damage  (STAB +  Tough Claws + Attack stat increased)-- Most of the pokemon won't take this hit, and you can make Charizard X learn Roost, to make it recover half of its health or supporting it with another Pokemon that knows heal pulse.

-Aerial Ace: PHYSICAL ATTACK. It will do 80 damage points. (Good attack for coverage)

-Slash: 95 damage points (good for coverage) and it does more damage than Charizard Y would do.

-Fire Fang: Epic 120 damage points plus the chance to burn the enemy. In fact, I'm gonna go right now and add that move to my charizard.

-Return:  Can deal an awesome damage of 133 points! 

-Brick Break: More coverage, breaking physical barriers and doing 100 damage.

-Fly: 120 damage points while avoiding a lot of attacks and coverage

-Steel Wing: Does 90 points of damage AND I've already explained this whole coverage thing.

And Shadow Claw and Rock slide will do more damage and are good for coverage. But I've gotta admit, why did you even put dragon tail there? It's kind of useless when you've got Dragon Claw available. BTW, you may just use Swords Dance and sweep the **** off the opposite team. 

And what does Charizard Y have as coverage? Grass, Fire and Dragon. That's it. Also, the enemies could just break the drought with other weather with common moves, while they can't block Charizard X's ability with common moves.

And now let's see what Charizard X can use as coverage:

-Rock

-Ground

-Dragon

-Ghost

-Fire

-Fighting

-Steel

-Normal

-Flying

Enough said.

And forgot to add, you can use outrage with Charizard X. I've used smogon damage calculator and if Charizard X attacked with Dragon Claw Charizard Y, (both with perfect IVs and EVs) it'd leave him with 10% of its health, even without being super effective. Outrage would leave him with -35% of his health, lol.

Last edited by ttredix1: 11/23/2013 2:53:50 PM

i'm goin for mega y, cos the drought is just a real boost in power for charizard, and it was already a special attacker in the first place, so it'll take some time for mega x's moveset to develop because before mega evolution came out, charizard learned more special moves as it levels up. Because of the way mega works, they're still able to learn the same moves, but outrage and dragon claw+dragon dance are the best mega x set i can think of and fire blast, flamethrower, solarbeam and air slash is the current moveset i have for my mega y.

Also mega Y sweeps like a boss....>.>

Disclaimer:my opinion, not fact

PS: There's probably a better moveset for my mega Y, any suggestions for a better set would be appreciated... I don't want t change the topic, so just add it on your answer

Basically this is a post about personal opinion on Charizard X and Y, don't know why the earlier guy is so obsessive in my own preference.

Air Slash, Focus Blast and Solarbeam gives it a very good coverage, and Y can just mow through with brute force with Fire Blast. Even resisted take a toll.

It's a matter of prediction when opponent uses a weather changer to disrupt your strategy, and I usually don't send out Y until they are taken out or weaken to state which Air Slash can finish them off.

Talking about mixed set, X and Y both can use Mix, but X main stab is Flare blitz whereas Y is Fire Blast, recoil damage is a minus.

Dragon Pulse has stronger base power, on top of 159 sp.atk, while X uses Dragon Claw/Outrage boosted by stab and Tough Claw.

The trade off is somewhat even. Fairies, Steels and intimate pokes against X even if damage output is higher.

In face off match, Y has the advantage due to X's weakness to dragon.

Y can also dragon dance, but the idea is to get a high damage right off the bat for wallbreaking. Flinchhax with DD is a bonus.

IMO, pure special Y should have dragon pulse. Flamethrower is quite redundant due sheer power of blast. 

Immunity to ground move and spikes/toxic spikes prolonged it's longevity.

Roost is usually in Y to keep the drought ability at the end of the game for team support, but X cannot afford to roost with DD.

Electric weakness is also removed by roosting, dangerous if ground on prediction though.

Whereas X usually just force switch on stuffs it walls and couldn't stay to roost after counter switched in.

X Earthquake : Y Focus Blast against heatran/hourdoom.

I have both stones, but still like Y best. Getting a shiny for Y would be awesome.

Playing pkmn Y

I prefer the look of X when they are both regular Pokémon.

When they are Shiny however, I prefer the look of Y. ^^

I personally wanted both MegaStones, so I just traded a Shiny for the X stone. I have to say, I use X more often though. I like his breedable movepool and typing.
    I love the Drought on Y with instant SolarBeam, however look out for Stealth Rock damage. I'd say there both equally good.

The power to accomplish your dreams lies within your heart

I haven't used charizard y to his full extent but i have used charizard x quite a lot. I gotta say his defense boost really helps him to efficiently set up a dragon dance. From there after he normally takes down 1 or more mons. I feel like he's a more reliable dragon dancer his other dragon counterparts such as salamence.

I'll try charizard y and see what happens =D

FC: 5172-1059-7947 =D IGN: Paul ^_^

Dragon safari: Druddigon, Noibat and Fraxure =D

• To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes