Garchomp, distant relative of Carvanha and Sharpedo?

Most of of us have come across the question asked by many people "Is Gible a relative of Sharpedo or Carvanha?"

I'm asking members of Marriland their Opinion, is the Garchomp family related to the Sharpedo family or not? Share your thoughts here and pick your answer yes or no. I expect A LOT of no's because of the probablilty of them actually be related is very slim, and we could not even officially decide because the designers of Pokemon would have to approve and they live in japan (or China idk).

But still have fun and decide, i will be providing details both disproving and proving that their related.And comment while you can it's probably going to be locked in a little.

Reasons people may theorize their relativity or not.

Please correct me if i phrazed that wrong.

Appearance: One of the main factors is how they come off in appearance, you may notice that both Sharpedo Carvanha, and Garchomp have the thing people describe as a "yellow star-shaped thingy on their heads". They also have the base of the three same colors, Red, Yellow, Blue (although I wouldn't really count Sharpedo's eyes as a a real red because as you know skin color don't go up to your eyes :|). Also Garchomp's Shark fin thing in the back is chipped almost exactly like Sharpedo's, they also all have sharp teeth. Sharpedo's bottom is painted like Garchomp's hehe bottom.

Descriptions: Gible is described as a "Land Shark" Pokemon which means it had to have originally been a Shark Pokemon (hint-hint :wink: ) or it would have been know as a "Cave" Pokemon instead. It's Pearl Pokedex description states "It once lived in the Tropics" whereas Carvanha's Pokedex states "They live in rivers in the Jungle."

The tropics are generally places about 10 deg above and below the equator. Tropics have jungles. You might find a jungle some distance behind a beach, and there are jungles far from beaches. All in the tropics.

Other: People think that when R/S was coming out the Garchomp idea was scrapped and saved for DPt because Garchomp would be too powerful of a Non-Legendary because Sharpedo already had a base-attack of 120, also it had a base Sp. Atk of 95 and base Speed of 95. Increase those and Sharpedo's weaker stats, Change it to Water-Dragon, Dark-Dragon, Ground-Dragon, Garchomp would be more of an unstoppable beast then it already is. It would still take little damage from Stealth Rock (or Spikes), being Water-Dragon it would take neutral damage from Ice, and being Dark-Dragon it would take Ice x4 but it could put some hurt on many Psychics. (and Dragon Ubers).

Also in one Pokemon Episode, even though I don't watch Pokemon I heard in that episode they are chasing a Gible and then a Sharpedo pop's out of nowhere? Maybe another secret hint?

Disprovers: People think he looks more like a HammerHead shark than a Sharpedo looking shark. Garchomp has certain jet-dragon like traits while Carvanha, and Sharpedo are obviously Piranha then Shark. (I will add your comments to Disprovers)
    First of all, wrong section. Secondly, wow. I never knew Garchomp had a star on its nose. I do know that the groove on Garchomp's fin varies by gender. At first, I did see that Garchomp was a Land Shark and I thought it might have some relation to Sharpedo, but I quickly scrapped the idea because I didn't have enough proof. But now that I think about it, I guess a Sharpedo trainer might possibly also have a Garchomp on their team. (Unless they wanted a pure Water-type team.) However, the idea of evolution in the pokemon game is a lot different than the idea of evolution in the real world. In the real world, people believe species evolve depending on natural selection and it happens over a long period of time. Species don't change as they develop, but some offspring may have mutations that help it survive which they pass on to future generations. In the game, evolution goes in a straight line, different species can interbreed, and the species of offspring is determined by the female. There are absolutely no physical variations between pokemon in the game. (Unless you completely mutilate your game with hax...)

Quote from GabeRol »

...and being Dark-Dragon it would take Ice x4 but it could switch to attack psychic (and still Dragon Ubers) Ubers and have a immunity to psychic then kill psychics easily ( which there is a decent amount in the Ubers tier)

Say what?

"Whoa! A wild Graveler swooped down from above!"

Quote from Silphy »

First of all, wrong section. Secondly, wow. I never knew Garchomp had a star on its nose. I do know that the groove on Garchomp's fin varies by gender. At first, I did see that Garchomp was a Land Shark and I thought it might have some relation to Sharpedo, but I quickly scrapped the idea because I didn't have enough proof. But now that I think about it, I guess a Sharpedo trainer might possibly also have a Garchomp on their team. (Unless they wanted a pure Water-type team.) However, the idea of evolution in the pokemon game is a lot different than the idea of evolution in the real world. In the real world, people believe species evolve depending on natural selection and it happens over a long period of time. Species don't change as they develop, but some offspring may have mutations that help it survive which they pass on to future generations. In the game, evolution goes in a straight line, different species can interbreed, and the species of offspring is determined by the female. There are absolutely no physical variations between pokemon in the game. (Unless you completely mutilate your game with hax...)

Quote from GabeRol »

...and being Dark-Dragon it would take Ice x4 but it could switch to attack psychic (and still Dragon Ubers) Ubers and have a immunity to psychic then kill psychics easily ( which there is a decent amount in the Ubers tier)

Say what?

Ok so is that a yes or a no because i'm kinda in the middle, and i need disprovers sooo...
    and idk how this doesn't belong here.. this is opinions right? Yeah you didn't even share your opinion :| .
    Quote from GabeRol »

Quote from Silphy »

Quote from GabeRol »

Say what?

Ok so is that a yes or a no because i'm kinda in the middle, and i need disprovers sooo...

I'm saying that there may be some relation if the ideas of evolution were similar (which they still could be since there are fossil pokemon). Garchomp's fin seems to be a vestigial structure (unless the Garchomps that live in the tropics use it to sink boats in quicksand), so it seems that Sharpedo and Garchomp do have a lot in common. But I really hope not because if pokemon is really going to be like this, then I honestly might stop playing. I don't want to be forced into a religion, but I also don't want to antireligious. If I am going to be put in a position where playing pokemon turns into a religious conflict, then I might as well not play at all.

@ Gabe: All topics based off pokémon belong in the pokémon general section of the forums - provided they don't fit in another pokémon category already (battles, trades, ETC). Polls, surveys and opinion are based off general chat, not pokémon.

It's an honest mistake; don't worry about it too much.

Also: I can see the relation between the two. You've mentioned enough points to summarize my opinion on the topic. The only thing they don't really have in common, visually, is the appearance of a dragon; a trait of Garchomp and Gabite, but not of Carvanha or Sharpedo.

Quote from Arceus thrasher »

@ Gabe: All topics based off pokémon belong in the pokémon general section of the forums - provided they don't fit in another pokémon category already (battles, trades, ETC). Polls, surveys and opinion are based off general chat, not pokémon.

It's an honest mistake; don't worry about it too much.

Also: I can see the relation between the two. You've mentioned enough points to summarize my opinion on the topic. The only thing they don't really have in common, visually, is the appearance of a dragon; a trait of Garchomp and Gabite, but not of Carvanha or Sharpedo.

Yeah Dude, Garchomp looks more like a Hammerhead-Dragon type thing. Well kinda idk if Garchomp really looks like a Dragon, because Dragons in General are Pokemon like Gyarados, Dragonite, (Dragonite looks like a Medieval one) Salamence, and you can see somewhat of a Dragon Appearence in Flygon, whereas Garchomp is clearely a Unique Looking Pokemon. With his hands sleeve shaped instead of claw shaped, a weird fishy like tail, and no wings.
    Why hasn't a mod noticed this yet?! This should be in Pokemon General.

I don't think the creators actually meant for them to have any relation, although I do think they look alike.

And for the whole first post, tl;dr.
    Quote from MiniM00se »

I don't think the creators actually meant for them to have any relation, although I do think they look alike.

Haha yeah maybe they just ran out of creativity?
    And sorry if i posted in the wrong section, even Arceus Thrasher knew it was a honest mistake.

Well, that's kind of true, but there are many different types of dragons. I don't think Altaria even looks like a legal dragon.

The only difference is that one is land and one is sea.

^^ Thank umbreonrulz for the great userbar!!!

^ Credit to Captain Genta!
    Quote from Silphy »

Well, that's kind of true, but there are many different types of dragons. I don't think Altaria even looks like a legal dragon.

That's true. Heh - I thought it was a candidate for the first pure flying type when I saw it. XD

Quote from GabeRol »

Yeah Dude, Garchomp looks more like a Hammerhead-Dragon type thing. Well kinda idk if Garchomp really looks like a Dragon, because Dragons in General are Pokemon like Gyarados, Dragonite, (Dragonite looks like a Medieval one) Salamence, and you can see somewhat of a Dragon Appearence in Flygon, whereas Garchomp is clearely a Unique Looking Pokemon. With his hands sleeve shaped instead of claw shaped, a weird fishy like tail, and no wings.

I reckon he has the resemblance of a dragon, simply because, like you said, dragons are a unique species. Dragons are mythical creatures, thought to not exist. Gyarados, Latias, Salamence, Dragonite (though basic, still in the same category), Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia and many others - like Garchomp - also look unique as opposed to many other creatures pokémon are based off.

Carvanha and Sharpedo: Piranha and shark; 'nuff said.

Gible, Gabite, Garchomp: Sand sharks, and something else thrown into the mix. What is is, no-one knows, thus making him unique. You can also see that Garchomp has the appearance of a jet. The pokédex even states that it can fold its body to look like one.

Kingdra isn't exactly unique, though he is a dragon as well. Then again, the creature he was based off is dubbed a sea dragon anyways. (Or sea horse; either one)
    Yeah I guess many dragon are unique.

Haha i thought Altaria was the biggest waste on a Dragon Pokemon ever period.
    Sometimes I wonder why we even care.
    Sadly, they don't share the same types.

:]
    Quote from Arekstavosch »

Sadly, they don't share the same types.

:]

Yeah it would make alot more sense if Garchomp was Water-Dark.
    Actually he looks like he could actually be that type. :/
    thats the only similarity i have ever noticed about them really.
    4555 4192 1890 = SS friend code
    Altaria Doesnt look like a dragon, but then i made a resemblance between Sky and dragons when i first saw the thing.

We are forgetting that Vibrava is a dragon here.
    Um.. What?
    A fish and a dragon dino looking thing.Nope,not seeing the family resemblance.

Gible is the same color as sharpedo,lol.That's the only similarity I'm seeing.
    Platinum FC: 2064 1438 8672
    SoulSilver FC: 1033 3460 0902
    Pearl FC: 3138 1207 4565
    Black FC: 4512 9813 8609
    Oops... I reported it too late... :oops:
  • To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes