MARRILAND'S FIRST EVER GLOBAL MOD
Just checking in for my yearly update. I'm like the grasshoppers in A Bug's Life. I just turn up every year for tribute. Except, I suspect only the most senior and long serving of members will remember who I am. Meaning the tribute will be getting smaller and smaller every year...you don't have statues dedicated to site pioneers yet? Not even in the Wiki? I sense a side project!
"But, SVD, I don't know who you are!"
I'm Marriland's first ever Global Mod.
"But, why did you leave!"
Life is why I left.
"Where are you now?!"
I'm in Italy now! Studying for my doctorate. Can you still change usernames here? I might have to come back in 2-3 years and change my username to "Dr. SVD". Which brings me nicely back to the topic. Any there any other Italians here? I don't remember many back from when I was a law enforcement officer in Marriland. Maybe times have changed.
Keep me posted y'all.
P.S. Remember ETJ? He's studying for his doctorate too.
- 9/30/2012 2:41:54 PM Posted in: General Chat
7/29/2011 3:20:57 PM
The word "commission" is probably a bit misleading here, since I have no way of transferring cash to you. =D BUT, you will receive the undying gratitute of Marriland's FIRST EVAR Global Mod.Posted in: Art and Fanart
"But, SVD, you don't have your powers anymore!"
True, but neither do any US Presidents that aren't Obama. They're still pretty imposing and influential figures, though!
"But SVD, you're not an imposing and influential figure!"
I could be. :(
If you look at my AV, you'll see it's an anime characature of me, hand-drawn sometime in 2002, when I had long blonde hair and no beard. It was drawn specifically for use as an AV, but the original size of the picture was considerably larger than an AV. Normal-picture sized, you could say.
It's now 2011, and I no longer have long blonde hair. I now have short spiky blonde hair, and a beard. Think Cobain levels of contrast.
Would anyone like to draw the updated version of my AV to reflect this change in my personal circumstances and appearance, preferably in a style similar to the one I have now?
All artworks and art-styles are appreciated! Post your results below, and the winner will get a PM from me personally thanking them. =D
7/27/2011 3:41:31 PM
I'm a complete opposite - I'm probably showing my age in admitting this, but I do enjoy the feel of a game in my hand, whether it be cartridge or disk based. That's not to say however, I'm against downloadable platforms such as Steam, XBLA, WiiWare, PSN etc., if anything, I value their presence. They have incredible advantages - they give a platform to new talent; they can be produced quickly; distrubed even quicker; they're often cheaper due (partly) to a smaller development team, and also because there is no need to mass product copies of the game suitable for the market.Posted in: General Chat
Howevr, capitalism plays its tricks and it can backfire. You may remember recently XBLA started selling full 360 games (and Xbox Originals) for download, generally for £10-20 (That's...what? $15-30? Something like that?) depending on the game. On the surface, that's amazing, due to the RRP of new games - £40 often being the default in the UK. However, XBLA doesn't move as fast as the physical market does. Meaning that the very vast majority of games available from XBLA can be picked up a fraction of the price in physical form which, ironically, cost more to make. I recently picked up the XBLA Hits Collection (Trials HD, Limbo, and 'Splosion Man) for £7 (about $12). Buying each game individually would have cost me roughly 800 MS points a pop, meaning overall, I'd have paid at least double for a platform that is supposed to be cheaper.
Also, I'd count the XBLA Hits Collection as 3 games, not 1. ;)
7/27/2011 12:27:02 PM
Just a quick note to mods before I start - since there is no general video game forum, I decided to post here. Plus, my topic takes something of an academic tone, so this discussion could be applied to anything from baseball cards to DVDs to life-sized models of Antonio Banderas. =DPosted in: General Chat
I have something of a large video game collection. A very large collection, infact. I've been collecting since the age of 5, don't sell my video games once they're played, and I currently have approximately 20 consoles, 17 of which are plugged into one TV in a setup that would make a Fire Safety Officer cry.
But, I'm having difficulty deciding how many games I own. Before I get into the problems I have, just a note on the criteria I'll be using. A game is the unit we're measuring in. A title is a the name of the game itself. This will make more sense once I expand. The problems I have are as follows:
Problems in measuring
1) What is the criteria for counting? Is it one game per disk/cartridge, or one game per title?
2) What about compilation titles, such as The Orange Box? Would that count as one game, or five? Similarly, I have Atari Anthology on PS2, which is a collection of 85 titles...would that count as one game, or 85?
3) DLC poses a particular problem. If we refer back to The Orange Box, two of the titles on that disk are Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and Episode 2. Would they count as part of Half-Life 2, or are they their own seperate titles? See also expansion titles that have been released on disk, such as Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow. Seperate game? Or part of its parent?
4) If expansions count as part of Half-Life 2, where does Multiplayer Map expansions fit into all this? Are they a unique title, or part of their parent?
5) With the rapid expansion of popularity of things like XBLA and PSN, where do downloaded arcade titles fit into all this? Would they be considered unique titles?
So, as you can see, a pretty tricky field to define. Nethertheless, I have made an effort to catalogue my games under the following criterium:
My criterium for measuring your video game collection:
1) Collections are measured in games, games are measured in titles - so that means that Atari Anthology would count as 85 games, since all 85 were released uniquely at one stage or another. HOWEVER, variants of the same title on one game (such as "Turbo" modes of games) don't count. For example Space Invaders Anniversary, which has 9 varients of Space Invaders, would only count as one.
2) DLC and expansions are considered part of their parents, irregardless of length. So that would mean Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow is part of RS3, and HL:E1/2 are part of HL2. It was a very tough decision to make, given the length of some expansions; such as RS3:BA, or Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den, both of which are full-length expansions. I made this decision based on the increase of DLC which really doesn't add anything to the story, such as map packs, or games such as Batman: Arkham Aslyum that release new Challenge maps.
3) DUPLICATES DON'T COUNT. An even tougher decision that needs clarification. Remember that we are defining this in terms of titles. So, I have Tetris on both the NES and SNES. I would only count it once, since they're identical games. Similarly, I have Mario Kart 64 on N64 and Virtual Console. Again, they only count as one. But, I have Goldeneye 007 on N64 and Wii. They would count as 2, since they're fundamentally different games at heart. I hope I've explained that well enough.
4) Downloaded games count, but updated titles don't. So, I have Snoopy Flying Aces and Miner Dig Deep on XBLA. They count. But an updated version of a previously released game, for example, Prince of Persia Classic wouldn't count, since it's an graphically updated version of the original 1989 Prince of Persia which I own.
So, I hope this has helped you in your quest to accurately and comprehensive count your collection. Post us your collection total! If you're unsure of whether something counts or not, tell us the title and we'll let you know.
My count? 589 games. Not bad. Not bad at all.
7/13/2010 12:22:53 PM
Anyone remember me?Posted in: General Chat
I used to be a Global Moderator back in the day.
Before my degree got in the way, sadly.
What have I missed around here? Did Dark Mastermind ever make a return? Did Dev ever turn his "DEV AGREES" picture (the one with him and the sword) into a running joke?
He totally should have.
But, srsly, what's new?
5/3/2008 6:29:11 PM
Posted in: General ChatQuote from HeRbErT »Je n'en parle pas normalement français, en fait, je sais à peine du tout. J'emploie un de ceux traduisant des emplacements d'enchaînement, parce que ce peut être amusement à parler en français quoiqu'I assez beaucoup n'aient aucun indice ce que je dis. xD
Je pense c'est de l'internet. ;)
5/3/2008 4:04:57 PM
Dans ici, seulement parler Francais, s'il vous plait!Posted in: General Chat
Maintenant, mon Francais, ce ne pas parfait. Je suis etudie! Parceque, je suis Anglais, et, dans ecoles Anglais, Francais est ne pas intéressant - il preferé dessin, l'histoire, comme si comme ca.
Qui parler Francais sur le forum? Ou habites tu? Le France, Belgique, Canadie, Pay-pas, oú?
Je etudie Francais parceque j'habite avec gens Francais, dans le Etat-Unis et le Pay-Bas. Je veux habite le Canadie pour l'été, oú je veux parler mieux Francais!
2/16/2008 3:27:26 PM
Hey chaps, sorry about the abscence, things such as work and school got in the way, as they always do.Posted in: General Chat
I would really love to battle you all, but I'm afraid the Europeanisation of post-Communist Russia unfortunately has to come first.
So, what's new?
1/7/2008 12:22:09 PM
Yeah guys, I suck.Posted in: General Chat
How dare I discuss open secrets.
1/5/2008 10:47:56 PM
Posted in: General ChatQuote from LuckyLuke5392 »Quote from Lady Dragonart »Quote from mathorn »Should I join the bandwagon and ask to have your children?
Nah, that's my job. ^_~
*Resists total urge to sigquote*
Well, anyway, I hope people who read this get the message. The mods are just doing their job the best they can. It isn't their fault if a user breaks the rules.
Oh, please, do, sigquote. The quicker we can get Grace to realise her true feelings for me, the better! And the fastest way to do this is to have her reminded of it around the forum!
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.